S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Just got a new car

Old 02-08-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just got a new car

Hey guys. Don't know if you picked up on me in S2ktalk, but I just took delivery of a new 05 Saturday. I requested that no plastic be removed so I could drive it home that way and wash it myself. The 04 that I had got 90% of it's swirl marks (not that it had alot) from the first wash the dealer gave it. Since then I've gotten progressively picky on how I take care of my car and where I park and when I drive it (this car just does that to you).

Anyway, I wanted to run my techniques by you guys to see if you can offer any suggestions or comment if I'm doing anything wrong.

First, I always use a car shampoo like meguires to wash it. I don't have two seperate rags for top and bottom, but I do have one for the wheels. I only use microfibre towels that have been washed and dried with no fabric softner and unscented dryer sheets (I never use a towel that hasn't been machine washed). I start by washing the hood, doors, trunk, and windshield. Then I move to the back bumper, then the front. Then last I do the wheels. That way I'm never washing a part dirtier than the one I began with. Of course I try to blast off as much dirt and grime away with the hose.

To dry, I never touch the car. I like to use my leaf blower (backpack style, gas powered). It works wonders and gets into all the creases and recesses. Of course I let it run for a few seconds on full blast to blow out any dust that might have been inside the blower tube.

After that, I soak up any leftover with a microfiber and make sure to get the gas door, trunk drainage, under the hood, and door sills.

To wax, I've used Meguires Medalion liquid wax in the past, but switched to the Meguires NXT because it shines really nice. I use a brand new terry cloth wax applicator (the round ones) every time. I wax the front of the car with one side and the back with the other side of the pad and then I throw it away. Of course, I break out a fresh microfibre again to take the wax off then another one for final cleaning.

I'm trying to keep the finish swirl free as long as possible. Any suggestions or comments on my system are welcome. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

o.k.- my thoughts:
1. welcome to the car and the board!
2. i would not use rags to wash the car- get a good lambswool mitt. it will do a better job of trapping and unloading dirt particles
3. i do the glass first, then the body (top to bottom as you mentioned)
4. for your drying mf, check out big blue- you wont ever use any other method! (combined with the blower or the blade its an awesome tool)
5. the nxt wont last long, but its a good product- when you are ready we can give you some other ideas, if you want

btw, congrats on not letting the dealer detail the car! you are right on- they dont charge extra for the swirls that they give a new car, and they give plenty!
Old 02-08-2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by wanabe' date='Feb 8 2005, 12:10 PM
o.k.- my thoughts:
1. welcome to the car and the board!
2. i would not use rags to wash the car- get a good lambswool mitt. it will do a better job of trapping and unloading dirt particles
3. i do the glass first, then the body (top to bottom as you mentioned)
4. for your drying mf, check out big blue- you wont ever use any other method! (combined with the blower or the blade its an awesome tool)
5. the nxt wont last long, but its a good product- when you are ready we can give you some other ideas, if you want

btw, congrats on not letting the dealer detail the car! you are right on- they dont charge extra for the swirls that they give a new car, and they give plenty!
Thanks for the advice.

I haven't heard of big blue. I'm guessing it's a type of towel?

I know the NXT doesn't last long. but I like to wax my car after most washes, so I usually end up doing after every wash or every other wash so it's extra shiny. I've been thinking about trying out Zaino, but I'm not a big fan of the 10 step process. Once I get to removing the first layer of wax, I'm already a good 1-2 hours into cleaning the car and ready to get it over with.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As added protection I recommend the following: Keep your Mitt clean! I start at the top and work my way down the car (Top, Windows, Hood, Trunk, Sides and bumpers.) Have a Soap bucket and a rinse bucket. Soap the mitt, wash a section, then rinse the mitt out in the rinse bucket. This keeps dirt out of your wash water and minimizes the chance dirt particles scratching the car.

As far as sealants there are lots of good ones out there that I like much better than NXT. They look better, last longer, and are much easier to apply and remove. My favorites are Poorboy's EX for black/dark cars and 4*UPP and Poorboy's EX-P for others
Old 02-09-2005, 08:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclon36' date='Feb 8 2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I haven't heard of big blue. I'm guessing it's a type of towel?

I know the NXT doesn't last long. but I like to wax my car after most washes, so I usually end up doing after every wash or every other wash so it's extra shiny. I've been thinking about trying out Zaino, but I'm not a big fan of the 10 step process. Once I get to removing the first layer of wax, I'm already a good 1-2 hours into cleaning the car and ready to get it over with.
yes big blue is a micro fiber drying towel...
http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motor...bludryint.html
also pakshak.com

nxt is a good product, and sounds like it might be just right for you since you like to use it. when you run out i suggest you try a carnuba like p21s- very similar to the nxt, but it layers well and lasts a bit longer in my experience.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

I recently found this on another forum and it's given me some cool ideas. The get really in-depth and explain why they use what they use. They also drive some really expensive cars and use some fairly expensive products. But they cover all bases. Thought I'd post it though, seemed to be a good resource to me.

And congrats on the car! What color?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by sleepychicken' date='Feb 10 2005, 02:38 AM
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

I recently found this on another forum and it's given me some cool ideas. The get really in-depth and explain why they use what they use. They also drive some really expensive cars and use some fairly expensive products. But they cover all bases. Thought I'd post it though, seemed to be a good resource to me.

And congrats on the car! What color?
Rio Yellow Pearl. The best color of course

Actually, I was torn between that and the NFR b/c I know that would be alot easier to match if I did any body mods so, needless to say, I don't plan on doing any.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. I need to try that wool mit thing out. I was skeptical about trying it b/c it just didn't look as soft as some of the microfibers and it didn't look easy to dump in the washing machine without a million hairs falling out.

I also like that rinse bucket idea. I'll have to start using that. I've also seen some wash buckets that have a screen on the bottom that stays about 2" from the bottom so the grit has a place to settle and doesn't get on the towels. I always hang mine over the edge of the bucket though to keep them from floating on the bottom.