S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

ive tried to be careful......what am i doing wrong???

Old 09-22-2003, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ive tried to be careful......what am i doing wrong???

Since day one of having my car i have always been careful of how i wash it so i wont have swirl marks. I use a soft sponge to clean it with and i have a rinse bucket to rinse the sponge each time. I dry it off with an Absorber. i also make sure the absorber is very clean before drying the car off. I have noticed swirl marks on my car now. Nothing bad at all you can only see in a certain kind of light but it still pisses me off. Can anyone help me out on what i might be doing or what i need to do?

also, i would love to get in zaino. what zaino applications should i buy for a virgin zaino car? and do any zaino products remove swirl marks?

thanks everyone,
kevin
Old 09-22-2003, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certain products hide swirl marks and certain products actually remove them.

AFAIK, if you use Zaino, then you will fill/hide the swirl marks.

If you use a polish such as Menzerna, you will actually remove them.

http://properautocare.com/menfinpol.html

Perhaps you might want to upgrade to a Microfiber wash mitt and Microfiber drying cloth.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:54 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Get rid of the sponge ASAP.

Costco is selling some real lambswool wash mitts. Those or the aforementioned microfiber mitts would be light years better than a sponge.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:37 PM

hmm.......thanks guys. i didnt think the sponge was that bad. ill get rid out it asap.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:59 AM
Former Moderator

After you switch to a lambswool mitt, next, get rid of the absorber. Switch to microfiber.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depending on how bad the swirls are, you can cover them or remove them... if you car is new and the swirls are fairly minor, just cover them for now. swirl remover actually "abrades" (removes) a small amount of your clear coat, so its best not to do that too often- swirl cover will not do this.
to reduce future swirls, as indicated above, go all microfiber and make sure the mf towels are cleaned after each wash (and not with other towels or clothes). also, never have anyone else (such as your dealer or car wash places) wash the car. my car was washed by the dealer (against my instructions not to) and was full of swirls after that.
a full swirl removal will take about 5-6 hours (you should clay first, swirl remove next and then need to refinish (wax or synthetic) the car- usually more than one coat (the process will remove everything from the surface of the car so you gotta put it back).
Old 09-23-2003, 07:55 AM

great tips guys.....anyone know where i can get microfiber towels online? i tried looking at the local autoparts stores and they dont sell them.

thanks
kevin
Old 09-23-2003, 07:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by KevGuillot
great tips guys.....anyone know where i can get microfiber towels online? i tried looking at the local autoparts stores and they dont sell them.

thanks
kevin
here ya go:
http://properautocare.com/micprod1.html
Old 09-23-2003, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also www.pakshak.com .
Old 09-23-2003, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This may seem a bit "over the top" and anal but it works very well for me.

I purchase (2) Detailer's Choice basic cotton wash mitts from Wal-Mart and one .99 blue wash bucket. I use one wash mit solely on the hood and trunk while using the other mit on the sides and lower portions of the car. I use one of the green adjustable setting watering devices that fits to the end of a hose on the "Shower" setting. All other settings seem to me like they hit the paint too hard, especially jet. Each time I swipe the car or get done with a certain portion I take the sprayer, still on "Shower", and spray down each side of the mit to hopefully blast as much dirt and debris out of it as possible. I have found that this works much better than the two bucket method because the dirt still gets contained in the water of the second bucket and doesn't fully get off the mit. The mit that I use on the front and rear bumpers along with the lower portions of the doors I replace about every 3-4 months or whenever wear indicates it necessary. At $2.59 a pop I'm not sweating that too much. The mit that solely gets used on the hood and trunk gets replaced maybe every 9-12 months as it does not accumulate nearly as much dirt and wear as the one used on the lower portions.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is to wipe with the mit from windshield down to the front of the car and not move your hand in circles while cleaning. The same thing applies to waxing the car. The "wax on, wax off" Karate Kid method was dispelled a long time ago and should never be done to your paint. This is the most common mistake I see many people make when washing/waxing the car. On the sides I start at the windows and wipe straight down to the ground. The same goes with the trunk...from the window to the rear.

The suggestions here about Microfiber towels and properautocare.com products are what I would recommend as well. I ordered my towels from pakshak.com and love the quality. The larger waffle weave towel that came in the package I ordered absolutely kills any chamois I have ever used in regard to absorption and softness. I use the regular microfiber towels to always remove wax as they do not scratch the surface at all. I have used both Pinnacle Paste Glaz(as I have a ligher colored car) and P21S wax both ordered from properautocare.com and really enjoy the quality of each. The Pinnacle smells the best but I think the P21S edges it out a bit on quality. You really can't go wrong with either one. I have not tried Zaino and do not plan to do so despite all the rave reviews I have seen on many auto forums. The process involved is simply way too much work for me.

Quick Reply: ive tried to be careful......what am i doing wrong???