S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

"Its only a car..."

Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 AM
gkb

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am the same way too. I can't drive a dirty car, no matter what it is. I feel all itchy and dirty when my car is not clean, i think it gives me hives or something.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:19 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

I could never understand what made me care so much about how clean my car is and why I spent up to 8 hours detailing my car and using various poducts on it...

Then I was reading Mens Health and it had a tip on how to boost your confidence, up your mood and make you feel better with in under 5 minutes.... you know what it said? Drive through a car wash.

Now picture an hour spent cleaning your car and how you feel after you are done... and if you ask me, after I am done not only do I feel better, more energetic and confident if you wanna put it that way..... but my car also FEELS FASTER...

Call me crazy, but it works..

Now don't be denying it, You know you think yur car is faster when it's clean.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Everyone already hit the main points, but yeah.. if people don't understand the satisfaction we get from detailing, or the pride you get from driving a really clean car and having people comment on it, there's always the financial aspect people will appreciate.

The APPEARANCE of a car counts for roughly 1/3 of its resale value. Looks good? More money. Pretty simple, really.

There's also the fact that I like to TAKE CARE of my things. I paid good money for my cars and i want them to last. A well-detailed car will last longer - the paint won't succumb to UV damage as soon, less chance of rust, seals will last longer, etc. Plus you get a good visual inspection of your car on a regular basis.

Some people buy a car and use it as a trash can, their office, their storage bin and could care less about its condition - mechanical or cosmetic. That's their thing and they won't understand the point of detailing any more than a newborn understands quantum physics.

My S2000 is nearly 8 years old and people ask if it's new.
I once had an older black guy look the WRX up and down and say, "DAMN!!! You keep that car clean like a black man's car!" I'm pretty sure that was a compliment
Old 10-22-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance jokes me about "how obsessive" I am with my GPW. I answer back,"I'm OCD.I can't help it. " Btw,she's constantly cleaning her townhouse and I NEVER joke about that. As long as I've had cars,I was always into detailing. If you don't take care of your ride,who will?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"It's only a car" is an attitude that needs to be fully developed after a major crash.
This is the attitude that will protect your sanity and at the same time foster a healthy "what am I going to do now?" train of thought.
Positive thoughts of new paint or new parts or even a new S may actually allow you to convince yourself that this was providence and in the end everything is going to be even better than it was before the crash.
The key here is that no matter what happens to an inanimate possesion, we will always find the bright side weather it really, actually or truthfully exists or doesn't .
Old 10-22-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to use my "car time" as a way to destress. I'm retired from that job and now work for my wife (yea, a well paid $ position with the company she owns). I still use my wash and clean the car time as I enjoy driving a clean car. I even like to wash my 4Runner before a winter storm so that it looks clean in the snow...