S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Interior Issues

Old 08-23-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Issues

Ok, so I picked up my winter car 97' civic DX and it looks like the previous owner was not the cleanest. It looks like he spilled some soda or other beverage in the cup holders/ plastic areas between the front seats. Soap and water don't seem to cut it. Any ideas? Looking for stuff I can buy locally.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

usually water will do most of the job- but you have to sponge it off with cool water... and might have to let it sit for about half hour or so.
if still there, try some detergent (car shampoo, for example).
it is possible that the acid in the soft drink has etched the plastic- sometimes its easier to replace the part than to fix it!
you could try a vinyl cleaner-
something like http://properautocare.com/blincl.html
Old 08-23-2005, 02:57 PM

I have that issue with my wifes car. She practicly lives in the thing and can care less about spilt soda, but when I give her car a good detail I clean up the soda with ease. Go to Target or Walmart and pick up some Folex (usually found in the general cleaning supplies). I cannot say enough good things about it, it works miracles and will tackle the most difficult stains. When I inherited my truck from my grandfather, he managed to get some oil spilt in on the passenger floor mat. Believe it or not, the folex took it out....great stuff.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by moonsurfer,Aug 23 2005, 02:57 PM
I have that issue with my wifes car. She practicly lives in the thing and can care less about spilt soda, but when I give her car a good detail I clean up the soda with ease. Go to Target or Walmart and pick up some Folex (usually found in the general cleaning supplies). I cannot say enough good things about it, it works miracles and will tackle the most difficult stains. When I inherited my truck from my grandfather, he managed to get some oil spilt in on the passenger floor mat. Believe it or not, the folex took it out....great stuff.
good tip moonsurfer-
http://www.folexcompany.com/

and its available just about everywhere!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:27 AM

Something that I've done in the past with a few cars is actually remove the part you are trying to clean from the car. My old beater had a plastic center console that was held in with just a few screws/clips. Take it out of the car and fill your sink full of soap and warm water. Then soak the parts in the water for a bit. Basically like washing dishes in the sink. It's much easier to get in the cracks and crevices if you aren't hunched over at some awkward angle in the car. Towel it off and reinstall. This also gives you a chance to clean underneath the parts, because spilled liquids always run down into any crevices.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:30 AM

Thanks guys will try the Folex. I have another question. What is good stuff that takes off the sticker residue on windshield? The previous owner had a bunch of stickers on the windshield (internal ie registration etc.). I've taken them off with a razor, but there is still a lof of sticky residue left.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:34 AM

Rubbing alcohol works great for adhesive on windshields