S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Installing small pieces of clear bra material

Old 11-23-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing small pieces of clear bra material

The paint in the area of the fenders behind my front wheels down low seems to be getting hit by debris flying up from the wheels. I've noticed a few small paint chips that I can easily touch up, but I want a way to prevent further damage from occurring. In the "s2000 Talk" section there is currently a thread where a member (Triple H) made his own set of mud flaps to prevent this type of damage from occurring. here

The thread has some good pictures that show the area I'm referring to. While I think the mud flaps are a good idea, and the ones he created are low-profile and don't stand out, I thought maybe using some clear bra film in the affected area might accomplish the same thing and be nearly invisible. I'm thinking of getting a few pieces of the film and creating a simple triangular pattern to put down in the corner of that area.

First off, does this seem like a good idea? Can anyone think of any downsides to it? Secondly, how difficult is it to install this film, given that I'd be installing a couple of small pieces? Probably a lot simpler than installing much larger pieces used on hoods/bumpers. I'm pretty anal and meticulous when it comes to my car, so patience wouldn't be a problem. Any thoughts?
Old 11-23-2005, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on a stongard kit a couple months back and it came with the cutouts for the headlight washer gizmos that the US car's don't have. I wrapped the 2 x 6 inch piece to the bottom back edge of the the front fender wells and it works quite well. I unscrewed the back edge of the plastic wheelwell and slid the bra material under it so it is very seemless.

No drawbacks so far after 2 track days with judicious use of blue tape along the bottom fender panels and very easy to install (about 15-30 min) unlike the bumper piece which was a PITA. Fyi that piece alone took about 4 hours to stretch on.

The mudflap idea is good to prevent rocks from hitting the fender area in front of the rear tires

You have to be aware that the clearbra is not as glassy as paint and the edges of the clearbra can be very hard to keep wax out of so there is a compromise to be made when you live with one.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:54 PM

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I have the clearbra on my hood, front bumper, mirrors, and I had the guy put a strip inside the rear wheel wells as well as a couple of pieces on the bottom of the rear bumper area.
I did not have him install anything in the front because of the textured finish along the bottom of the panel. I did not know whether there would be a problem with adhesion over that area or not.
Have you noticed any problems with adhesion over the textured area along the very bottom?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:19 AM

Thanks for the input. I don't think it will be too noticeable on a silverstone car, and I'd be sure to keep wax from building up around the edges. I like the idea of tucking it under the back edge of the plastic wheel well liner too.

If it's relatively easy to install then I may just go ahead and put some on. How difficult is it to take this stuff off if I decide I don't like it? It probably just leaves some adhesive residue behind that needs to be cleaned off, correct?

Anyone else have any thoughts as to the effectiveness of this?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:41 AM

If you're using 3M film, it is very durable. I recently replaced film on the bumper of a 575 Maranello that had been damaged. Whatever the owner hit, it tore the film. It was amazing to remove the film and see that the paint suffered no damage at all. 3M is the only way to go. More info at www.ultrashieldusa.com, or in the Carolinas, www.ultrashieldofcharlotte.com.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:58 AM

Wow, good to know. Thanks. Can anyone recommend a place to order some from? I'd only need a few feet of the stuff for this application.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:36 AM

Actually you don't need a few feet. I use "leftover" material from the patterns cut on site for wheel well coverage. It will probably take 4 strips, maybe an extra for "insurance" purposes, 3-4 inches wide and maybe 2 feet long to do what you want.

Get some measurements then call me at 704.321.0505. Be glad to talk you through how to do this and send material to you.

Steve Treece
UltraShield of Charlotte, Inc.
www.ultrashieldofcharlotte.com
Old 11-29-2005, 09:06 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the offer. Let me get some measurements and maybe even trace out something on paper and then I'll get a hold of you. It may not be until the weekend though, when I'll have a chance to do it.

Reading up on this film makes me wish I had known about it when I first bought the car. I may have sprung for an entire bra at the time. Now, it's had a couple years worth of exposure to road debris, and I'd hate to put the material over these chipped areas. I realize I could stop it from any further damage if I did it now, but it's hard to justify putting it on at this point.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:28 AM

usace, after a wash/wax yesterday I was just thinking of doing the same thing. I just want to do some small spots as it seems I've only got chips in very small and specific areas.

STreece, Any suggestions for where one could just pick up the 3M material locally?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:24 PM

I haven't gotten around to doing this just yet. I still need to get the material to do it. But I had just planned on touching up a few of the chips that I have in this area and then applying the material. In theory it seems like it would work well.

STreece - I PM'ed you a while back about getting some material from you. Did you receive it? Let me know if the offer still stands. Thanks.