S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

inconsiderate drivers- paint scratches

Old 10-04-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inconsiderate drivers- paint scratches

been having problems of people scraping my paint with their doors.. and scratching my black paint.. unfortunately im getting very irritated with this.. any techniques on how to remove scratches myself ??
Old 10-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depends on how bad they are... if they are all the way through the paint then you will prob need a body shop- if not, we can help. let us know more details- and got pics?

i have no dings, or paint problems at all- my solution has been the honda cover, and "defensive parking" (dont park next to suvs, and park in the best spot i can find). the cover is well padded- so it keeps dings off as well as dust! and since my top is almost never up it keeps the inside clean too!
Old 10-05-2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Oct 5 2005, 07:20 AM
i have no dings, or paint problems at all- my solution has been the honda cover, and "defensive parking" (dont park next to suvs, and park in the best spot i can find). the cover is well padded- so it keeps dings off as well as dust! and since my top is almost never up it keeps the inside clean too!
The best way to avoid dings is to be defensive. I have two dings and a dent in my car. One ding I have no idea who did it. However, the other was from the back door of one of those new four door cab pick ups. I saw it happen, but I didn't realize it at the time. Anyway, both dings are pretty mild and I can live with them. The dent however was a major bummer. So, the dingman came to my house yesterday and removed it from me can't even tell it was ever there. He thinks it came from someone sitting on my quarter panel. My point is basically that if the S is your daily driver and you live in a relatively densely populated area it's difficult to prevent all dings, but you can certainly minimize your chances.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:52 PM

Yeah I find myself being a defensive parker... looking to park in isolated spots.. however.. it seems as though some dumbass has to park next to me when there are many spots available.. why they choose so I dont know.. so I guess I have to deal with it.. and for the scratches they are minor.. Do you think those scratch removal products work without a buffer machine.. I am not experienced at all with such equipment.. so my tactics are by hand...
Old 10-06-2005, 11:45 AM

You should first feel the scratches with your finger nail. If you run your fingernail across the scratch and do not feel it, then it can be buffed out. If you can feel the scratch, then it is down to bare metal and will need a repaint.
You can use some 3M swirl remover or maguires scratch x and apply by hand. It will just take a lot longer than with a machine. Just be patient and be sure to work the product in until it becomes a dust. Instead of applying in circles, try up and down, then side to side to help prevent swirls, and be sure the surface is clean before attempting to buff it out.
Be sure to apply some wax after the polish to add some protection to the area.