S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Im ready to try clay on my car

Old 02-19-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im ready to try clay on my car

Well since i know how to wash & dry my car now (proper way), i want to try and clay my car i was watching the Clay Magic Video so i kind of got the idea of how to do it, now the question is which clay bar should i go for? i seem some with lubricant spray and some with out it whats the deal with that ?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:43 PM

i havent really done anything having to do with detailing so far so take my advice lightly lol but from all my research clay is pretty much all the same, there is little difference between them. the lubricant spray is used so the clay slides easily across the paint, you can either use this or use soap suds from a freshly washed car.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always used the Clay Magic kit with great results
Old 02-20-2007, 10:51 AM

thank you guys yeah i went with the clay magic kit...after learning how to clay my next step is going to be how to wax
Old 02-20-2007, 02:34 PM

Thanks wannabe for adding the Topic Description...

Some more questions

1. how many times can the clay be use?
2. do i have to keep it inside the box when not use?
3. Can i use it on another car besides my s2k? (Want to try it out first on my gf's car)
Old 02-20-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think it says on the box. but i read my mother's claybar i think it only said to use it like 4-6 times then throw it away. i keep them in a ziploc bag with some moisture to keep them from getting hard, stored of course away from direct sunlight. i've used my claybar on 4 cars already, i dont see the problem with using it on multiple cars as long as its not so dirty.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The new Meguiars kit also comes with a MF towel for wiping up, as well as a little snap-tight box to keep the clay in. Worth buying at least once just for the box if you dont have anything else handy (I havent used the clay magic kit, so I dont know what it comes with)

I personally break a bar in half, and use the first half two or three times until it's gotten too dirty, then I move it for use on rims for brake dust and let the second half take on paint duty.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:02 PM

hey, i know you already went out and bought a diff kit, but try the griots Paint cleaning clay and Speedshine. That stuff works awesome. I manage a merchandise section at a dealership and thats what we sell. Check out www.griotsgarage.com. They have a lot of sick detailing kits. If theres anything you want hit me up, or check out my boutique section at www.parkplaceltd.com.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:05 AM

thank you guys for the help!!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:08 AM

Clay is pretty much clay. There all pretty much the same because they're all manufactured in the same plant in Japan because one company (Auto Magic) holds the patent for detailing clay. So, anyone who wants clay has to go through them and use their manufacturer.

The only real difference is the abrasive level. Some are fine, ultra fine, medium, or aggressive. The stuff you get OTC I would say is medium. Personally, I like medium because I feel it's a good clay for most situations.

Quick Reply: Im ready to try clay on my car