S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How to wash the soft top to it its cleanest?

Old 10-27-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a questions.

Do you guys clean the top before after the car wash? Does the protectant leave stains? Last time, I cleaned the top at the end left frustrating stains from the protectant (ragg top)

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by sunk318
I have a questions.

Do you guys clean the top before after the car wash? Does the protectant leave stains? Last time, I cleaned the top at the end left frustrating stains from the protectant (ragg top)

Thanks.
Spray the protectant onto a towel, sponge or applicator, then apply it to the soft top. No more stains.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you guys clean the top before after the car wash?
During. I start at the top and work my way down. Protectant is applied after drying.

Last time, I cleaned the top at the end left frustrating stains from the protectant (ragg top)
How did you apply the protectant?
Old 11-05-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UC Gordon
Originally Posted by sunk318' timestamp='1414453584' post='23384876
I have a questions.

Thanks.
Spray the protectant onto a towel, sponge or applicator, then apply it to the soft top. No more stains.
what kind of motion did you use? did you like just dab it on? or wiping motions or what? was the sponge like dripping soaked?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Question for y'all with fabric tops. After a protectant is applied, does/should the top bead water, like water beads on freshly waxed paint?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by solitarycheese
Question for y'all with fabric tops. After a protectant is applied, does/should the top bead water, like water beads on freshly waxed paint?
Yes, the top should bead water after the protectant has been appied!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:49 PM

I have used 303 cleaner and 303 protectant on several cars and like it just fine. The top comes clean and with the protectant it looks darker and newer, Trouble is got the protectant from a marine supply store but had to order the vinyl cleaner from internet. Once you get both bottles they will last a long time. Just make sure you get products for vinyl not cloth.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

I wash the top first and then do the car. I put the protectant on after I wash the car.
Tip: Make sure it's not a windy day and let it sit out in the sun to dry off after you've wiped it down real good. If not you may have to wash the protectant off the car finish. I usually do the top first and then wax the car. Then leave it out to dry.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:33 AM

I have a questions.

Thanks.
Yep the protectant does leave very sticky nasty stains!

1) I start with the top with water & shampoo (as long as everything will run down to the rest of the chassis anyway - no point washing it last!).
2) Then, I use a spray (Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care) with a soft brush to agitate and I just let it dry a bit before washing it off with plain water.
3) Then I spray all the rubbers and insulations around the windows and hardtop (in winter) with the same product for protection from cracking up from the weather.
4) Then I wash the rest of the car.
5) Then I do the windows, mirrors, hardtop glass and air breaker glass with a glass cleaner.
6) Then I use the same Vinyl and Rubber care on the inside (dashboard, doors, generally anywhere you can shine an area except driving wheel and pedals of course as they will be slippery if you do so!).
7)Then I hoover.

Then I'm done
Hope this helps!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Do anyone use the same on a cloth top? If not, what do you use on a cloth top that isn't vinyl?

Quick Reply: How to wash the soft top to it its cleanest?