S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How to remove old tire dressing?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:46 AM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Default How to remove old tire dressing?

I've been using 303 and loved that it wasn't greasy. When I ran out I made a decision on using my old Meguiars tire shine and finish off the can. The first time you apply it is super shiny and looks amazing. Second time its dark and some what shiny. 3rd time I have so much of that stuff caked on there that even after washing and scrubbing it with the brush in the car wash that goo doesn't come off.

I've tried spraying Eagle1 Tire/Rim cleaner on it and using regular soap. That stuff just doesn't wanna come off unless I use like 3 rags and 10 minutes on each tire and still some crap left behind.

I would like to spray it with some STRONG detergent, let it get rid of all the greasy substance.... Even if it turns my tires back to gray I don't care. I will continue to use 303 or megs vinyl/rubber spray instead of stupid tire shine.

EDIT: OOOps... can some one move this topic in to the Wash and Wax section
Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wesleys Bleach White, or Purple power degreaser works great to remove old tire shine. When you re apply it is now a smooth surface. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:57 AM
EOE

I have some simple green, could I use that? Is it ok for my clear coated stock rims to have Purple Power or Simple Green on them? I will rewax my rims after this procedure if necessary.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lookingforans2,Feb 18 2008, 11:53 AM
Wesleys Bleach White
Old 02-18-2008, 09:13 AM
EOE

Just googled it and F150 guys seem to love that stuff. Nice.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Griot's garage Rubber Cleaner. If you really want to clean up well, buy Griot's Rubber Prep. I use Griot's Long Lasting Tire Dressing. It doesn't leave a greasy finish like most of the other's. I use the rubber cleaner every time I wash my car and apply the tire dressing once every three washes.

www.griotsgarage.com
Old 02-18-2008, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any greased lightning, simple green, royal, etc. should work...
Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 AM

would those also be able to remove old brake dust that has gotten on the rims?
Old 03-17-2012, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by EOE
I've been using 303 and loved that it wasn't greasy. When I ran out I made a decision on using my old Meguiars tire shine and finish off the can. The first time you apply it is super shiny and looks amazing. Second time its dark and some what shiny. 3rd time I have so much of that stuff caked on there that even after washing and scrubbing it with the brush in the car wash that goo doesn't come off.

I've tried spraying Eagle1 Tire/Rim cleaner on it and using regular soap. That stuff just doesn't wanna come off unless I use like 3 rags and 10 minutes on each tire and still some crap left behind.

I would like to spray it with some STRONG detergent, let it get rid of all the greasy substance.... Even if it turns my tires back to gray I don't care. I will continue to use 303 or megs vinyl/rubber spray instead of stupid tire shine.

EDIT: OOOps... can some one move this topic in to the Wash and Wax section
I just went through this and it was a nightmare, now its so easy to deal with its ridiculous. here's what i use.

1. First step is to use a degreaser, eagle one bio degreaser works good and its safe for the enviro---> My link

2. Then sit next your wheel using a small stool or on an upside down home depot 5 gallon orange bucket ---> My link

3. While the tire is soaked with degreaser, use a heavy duty interior/upholstery/carpet or whatever brush and use very short and rapid side to side brushing motions as you go around the tire. Think of it like brushing your teeth, you want short strokes and tiny circles, not long sweeping ones. heres an example of a brush --->My link

4. Rinse with strong spray. You will find your tires so clean you can eat off of them. the brush even gets into the seam where the tire meets the wheel. My wheels were so caked on with that gel shine that the raised letters on the side of tire disappeared. 1 minute max per tire, and now it looks like i have brand new tires. can't beat that!

Now, the question is... to use tire dressing agian or not. LOL even though it's easy to remove for me now... i'm almost over it. and just amazed at how clean tires look when they are "clean".
Old 03-21-2012, 08:37 PM

I've been using Westley's Bleche White for decades. There might be better products, but this stuff does work; it's readily available at auto parts stores; it's affordable in 1/2 or 1 gallon containers.

Quick Reply: How to remove old tire dressing?