S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How Often Do You Do a Full Polish Job ?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts
Default How Often Do You Do a Full Polish Job ?

I just got done giving the s2k a full polish job using my PC. I gave it a wash, claybar'd it , polish, and sealant. I think I spent about 6 hours on the thing, I don't know about the younger guys but this is back breaking work for me. Any advice on how to avoid having to do this again in the future ? I dont mind using the claybar and applying sealant but I'd love to avoid having to polish it any time soon. Can I get away with just regular washing, claybar and sealant applications in the future if I keep on top of it ?. I'd gladly apply more sealant applications if it buys me more time on avoiding the need to polish it.

These guys who do this for a living earn every penny IMO. Thanks for reading.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you wash your car pretty frequently, you shouldn't have to clay bar since the contaminants wont get embedded especially if it's properly waxed. I always just wait until I have a show to go to, or I start seeing a bunch of swirls or scratches.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The key is your washing and drying techniques and materials. This is where your car gets scratched. (Unless someone removes snow from the car with a broom, drives it through a car wash with brushes, uses the brush at the coin-op wash, etc.) Don't scratch the paint and you won't need to polish it for a long time. The paint will eventually get scratched, but at a a much slower rate.

The techniques for a proper wash, rinse, and dry (or wash and dry with rinseless products like Optimum No Rinse) are well documented on the Internet, including on this forum.

Note that this is important for more than your aging back: each polish removes a little clear coat. Remove too much over time, and the paint will fail. This might not be an issue for you if you trade cars often, but note that my S2000 is 11 years old, and I may keep it for 11 more. So the less polishing I do, the better for the longevity of the paint.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
The key is your washing and drying techniques and materials. This is where your car gets scratched. (Unless someone removes snow from the car with a broom, drives it through a car wash with brushes, uses the brush at the coin-op wash, etc.) Don't scratch the paint and you won't need to polish it for a long time. The paint will eventually get scratched, but at a a much slower rate.

The techniques for a proper wash, rinse, and dry (or wash and dry with rinseless products like Optimum No Rinse) are well documented on the Internet, including on this forum.

Note that this is important for more than your aging back: each polish removes a little clear coat. Remove too much over time, and the paint will fail. This might not be an issue for you if you trade cars often, but note that my S2000 is 11 years old, and I may keep it for 11 more. So the less polishing I do, the better for the longevity of the paint.
this is what it comes down to. onr and/or duragloss 902 car wash (suds is your friend, it lifts the dirt off the surface and makes it easier to not scratch the surface), nice mf towels (i recommend pakshak mf towels), sheepskin mitts, two bucket method washing, dry it with a leaf blower instead of drying with a chamois/mf waffle weave towel.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:22 AM

thanks for the replies on this, yeah washing it and keeping it clean won't be a problem, I think I have the right supplies to do that, I'll look into some better soap solutions like durogloss. It doesn't go through any carwash and it doesn't get washed by anyone else but me. Good to hear that I might not have to do this too many more times, he, he , lol, my car is 9 years old and I hope to keep it another 10+ years so less wear and tear (on car and myself) sounds good. I appreciate the replies
Old 04-12-2011, 04:18 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Your process will work fine, especially if it's not a DD. I enjoy detailing my cars more since I've started using a rolling seat, it helps save the knees when detailing low on the car.

There are all different kinds on the market, I was given this particular one and I love it.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...with+drawer.do
Old 04-12-2011, 04:22 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Wash - Once every week or so
Clay + Wax - Once every 3 months
Full detail - Once per year

The S is garage kept and is not my DD, so my internals are fewer than if it was.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that with my black S2K I cannot prevent swirls from returning, no matter how careful I am in my wash techniques. Swirls are an inescapable and frustrating part of my car's life. I try to maintain the 3-foot rule: if the car looks great from three feet away, rejoice!

I have adopted a detailing regimen very similar to RedCelica (above). For me, a full exterior detail usually takes two days. I haven't figured out how to make it go faster.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Your process will work fine, especially if it's not a DD. I enjoy detailing my cars more since I've started using a rolling seat, it helps save the knees when detailing low on the car.

There are all different kinds on the market, I was given this particular one and I love it.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...with+drawer.do
Yeah I guess a rolling seat would help out, I'm pretty good with the upper flat surfaces like hood, roof (HT), trunk, it's the lower doors, bumpers and sills that I dislike most.

Do you guys think a california duster is of any value ?, to me it sounds like something that might create scratches rather than help out, but that's just my best guess.

thanks for the replies
Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by akimel
I have found that with my black S2K I cannot prevent swirls from returning, no matter how careful I am in my wash techniques. Swirls are an inescapable and frustrating part of my car's life. I try to maintain the 3-foot rule: if the car looks great from three feet away, rejoice!

I have adopted a detailing regimen very similar to RedCelica (above). For me, a full exterior detail usually takes two days. I haven't figured out how to make it go faster.
I've always heard that the act of driving your car creates swirls from air/dust flowing over and around the vehicle at speed. Makes sense to me, if it's true or not I don't really know.

Quick Reply: How Often Do You Do a Full Polish Job ?