S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How much Zaino do I need for one layer?

Old 09-08-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much Zaino do I need for one layer?

I do not have a hard top, and I have 3M clear film on the front (1/2 way up the hood and fenders, and whole front bumper and lip).

How much do I need for one layer of Zaino on the car? Also, should I Zaino the clear film too? (I don't know if the Zaino would bond with the film).

I'm trying to see how much Z2/Z5 I need in one of those 2oz mixing bottles for one layer of Zaino on this little car.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2006, 04:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

One bottle of either will do the car many, many, many, many, many, many times.

You can do the film if you like. It'll take it just like the paint. However, I only do the film maybe once in a while. Afterall, it's already the protectant. Odd that we would spend too much time protecting the protectant.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would do the entire car, including the lights, film and wheels...
but i am a certified nut!

prob would only do one coat on your film, but at least two coats on the rest- the more the better on the wheels cause it wont last as long down there.
i like to protect protectants- last time i did a swirl removal i had over 20 coats of z2 on my car!! and who knows how much carnuba? (not me)
i even protect the zaino with carnuba-
o.k. so what do i protect the carnuba with?...
more carnuba!!
Old 09-08-2006, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a clearbra too and I can get two coats out of one third a bottle.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dunno if I fully understand OP's question.

I mix 1/2 bottle of polish with ZFX to cover the entire car once, except wheels.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:01 AM

I use the Z-1 Polish-Lok so I dont have to guess how much to prepare. It only needs to be used on bare paint. After that the Z-2 bonds to itself.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:26 AM

Properly applied, 1/2 oz or 1/4 of the ZFX mixing bottle is enough for 3 coats. You will increase spreadability by going over the finish with Z-6 before applying the first coat. Also, keeping the applicator pad slightly damp with Z-6 will make the polish flow better.

Do apply Zaino to your 3M bra! The UV protectant in the polish should increase the life of your bra and make bug removal even easier. You will get an even nicer look by applying Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal to both the bra and finish.

If you plan on "topping" Zaino with wax, don't bother using Zaino at all. The oils in the wax will break down the polish and the wax itself will detract from the clarity achieved with Zaino alone. You don't need to "protect" Zaino...it is a surface protectant far better than wax.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:34 AM

Good advice on the Z-6 to dampen the applicator. I use the applicators from Zaino, and the applicators were just soaking up all the Zaino in the beginning. Even though I tried using only one corner area to apply, the applicator will soaked up quite a bit of polish!
Old 09-17-2006, 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=Ks320,Sep 17 2006, 07:34 AM] Good advice on the Z-6 to dampen the applicator. I use the applicators from Zaino, and the applicators were just soaking up all the Zaino in the beginning.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraKitty,Sep 17 2006, 03:20 PM
To apply the Z1 Polish Lok, the Z2 and Z5, I have been stealing the wife's make-up applicators. They are 2" square cotton pads. The latest batch that came from CVS are quilted and they fall apart like they are made from Kleenex. The previous batch had a waffle pattern embossed on them and they were great. I could do about half a car before they got ugly.

For polishes, I use old socks that have a terry cloth texture on the inside. I cut them in half and use the foot part for polishing. The top with the elastic doesn't get used as much. I have used a couple of them for applying tire dressing.

OK. So I'm cheap.....but it works!
Funny that you mentioned those make-up pads. I actually use the same thing for my seats with Lexol, except that I do not think the make up pads are 100% cotton (it's one of those more durable ones) -- so I'm not using that on the paint.

I guess those deposable 100% cotton pads are good ones if they are really soft ... I'm just tired of the applicator eating up all my polish before any goes on to my paint!

Quick Reply: How much Zaino do I need for one layer?