S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How much is too much?

Old 08-14-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is too much?

Hey all- How can you tell when you're using too much polish? My first time using a PC a few months back, I had a hard time telling if I was simply gliding on top of my polish or actually working the product. I have a feeling I was doing more gliding as my car is starting to swirl again. How do I know how much polish is the right amount?
Old 08-14-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by SDCJ,Aug 14 2006, 03:06 PM
Hey all- How can you tell when you're using too much polish? My first time using a PC a few months back, I had a hard time telling if I was simply gliding on top of my polish or actually working the product. I have a feeling I was doing more gliding as my car is starting to swirl again. How do I know how much polish is the right amount?
It sounds like you are saying that you believe your swirls are coming back because you used too much polish last time you polished the car.

If you polished the car and all the swirls disappeared then these are likely new swirls. The most common cause of swirls is improper washing technique. Check out this video on proper washing technique to see if you're doing it right . . .

Two Bucket Wash Method

However, if you used a polish with a lot of fillers in it then it is possible that your old swirls have returned. Fillers often wash away in rain or after a car wash. What polish did you use?

Regardless, the return of swirls is not impacted by how much polish you used.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:47 PM

Hm... I used the Sonus SFX 2 and 3. I do use the two bucket wash method and my car is garage kept. Did I use JV polish? And by no means am I trying to defer the blame from me- I just want to make sure I'm doing this right

One thought is that I had been drying with Fieldstone Super plush towels from Target, like Zaino website suggested. I just bought a couple BB's that will be here tomorrow...That should help too.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:00 PM

I don't believe the Sonus polishes have fillers in them. So, these are probably new swirls. Here's some things I would do . . .

-check your wash mitt and make sure it's still soft and that there are no dirt particles stuck in it
-wash your car only with a GENUINE sheep skin mitt some mitts are not real sheep skin make sure yours are
-dry your car with a high quality waffle weave MF (not familiar with your Fieldstone towels but if Sal recommeneded them then they're probably cotton and if they're from Target then they're probably not that great)
-make sure you are using a high quality car wash soap (don't use Dawn like Sal Zaino recommends)
Old 08-16-2006, 09:36 AM

So more than likely the swirls have nothing to do with the polish, but for efficiency's sake, what would be some warning signs that I'm using too much polish?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:03 AM

I just put a ring around the out side of the pad. As I go I find the pad retains some polish and I can reduce the amount I put on the pad.