S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How to fix fading plastic

Old 11-06-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix fading plastic

Hey guys, well not really fading. If you really want to know its the stock airbox cover, had scratches on it. I tried scratchX on it to no avail, then tried it on the PC. Anyway to no surprise it left the whole thing a hazy gray color that looks just like faded plastic.

ANYWAY now that thats out of the way, is there any way to fix this? I know some type of shine will fix it but I want a fix that wont just wash off.

Anyone experience fixing faded plastic like this and know how to fix it? TIA
Old 11-06-2007, 07:04 PM

I just saw something interesting on plastic dye. Anyone have any stories on this stuff? Seems like if this stuff works, it would probably be my best bet.

Doing some more research this looks very promising. I have read and seen a few results on computer cases, monitors, and plastic speakers.

Guess I'm going to change my question and ask what the best brand is of this stuff? thanks again.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This stuff works really well for exterior trim--you might want to give it a shot: http://www.topoftheline.com/trim-molding-dye.html

Old 11-07-2007, 09:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by diabolus2k,Nov 6 2007, 11:52 PM
This stuff works really well for exterior trim--you might want to give it a shot: http://www.topoftheline.com/trim-molding-dye.html

Thanks, just ordered. Sounds like something that is a must have for all modern auto owners.
I ordered the kit but for the budget minded, the single product might be the best deal.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:30 AM

hmm seems like this sorta thing is somewhat not very well known. Considering I thought there would be no way to fix faded plastic, and how I only got a couple replies to the thread. There should be SOMETHING in the sticky having anything to do with vinyl dyes. Unless I missed it. Seems like a good alternative other than all the people i read about wanting to spray paint their plastic black while searching for this problem
Old 11-07-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B.Money,Nov 7 2007, 11:30 AM
hmm seems like this sorta thing is somewhat not very well known. Considering I thought there would be no way to fix faded plastic, and how I only got a couple replies to the thread. There should be SOMETHING in the sticky having anything to do with vinyl dyes. Unless I missed it. Seems like a good alternative other than all the people i read about wanting to spray paint their plastic black while searching for this problem
The stuff I mentioned in my post is used by some well-known professionals on Autopia, and seems to be the best product out there (that I've heard of). Truth be told, there aren't many plastic dye products available out there, and most of the ones that are available don't work that great. If wanabe wants to, he can add this thread to the sticky, but he's out for the week, so hopefully he'll see it when he gets back

Also, I'm not surprised that you didn't get many responses to your original question, since I've never heard of anyone taking a PC to their stock airbox cover. I think you may have damaged it permanently, and I'm not sure if you'll be able to get the same shine back that you had originally. The dye will help get the color to match again, but it won't bring back the shine.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by diabolus2k,Nov 7 2007, 12:05 PM
I've never heard of anyone taking a PC to their stock airbox cover.
hey it was worth a try, you know?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by diabolus2k,Nov 7 2007, 02:05 PM
Also, I'm not surprised that you didn't get many responses to your original question, since I've never heard of anyone taking a PC to their stock airbox cover. I think you may have damaged it permanently, and I'm not sure if you'll be able to get the same shine back that you had originally. The dye will help get the color to match again, but it won't bring back the shine.

This is why I did not respond initially to this thread. It's quite possible the only answer is to buy a new air box.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:53 AM

hmmm alright ill get some cheap stuff at pepboys and throw her on there and see what she looks like. If it doesnt look any good ill have to just buy a new one.

Right now mines not too bad at all but its just not as good as what it was, but I dont ever really remember it being very shiny. i remember it being like very semi glossy black. Anyway if it looks good/like hell if I remember ill post up some pics in case someone else decides to take a pc to their airbox
Old 11-07-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by diabolus2k,Nov 6 2007, 11:52 PM

Has anyone tried this on the dash? I have some scuff marks from a luggage i tried to squeeze in the passenger seat... this seems like a good solution.

Quick Reply: How to fix fading plastic