S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How does this wash/wax cleaning routine look?

Old 07-19-2006, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does this wash/wax cleaning routine look?

I am fairly new to babying my cars but I recently got a used 04 Silverstone and after reading through the forums a bit, I put together this routine for washing the car. However, I am not sure what to do different the first time I wash the car (dealer detailed the car before I picked it up) vs the 100th time I wash the car. I do not have a garage. Please give me more suggestions/pointers!

Exterior
1. Wash with a good car wash (not sure what brand..)
2. Claybar (maybe... )
3. Klasse AIO
4. Meguiar's Gold Class Wax (maybe)
5. Use 303 vinyl convertible top cleaner and 303 aerospace protectant

Interior
Use 303 Aerospace cleaner/protectant on all non leather parts
Use Lexol leather/conditioner on the leather.

Am I missing anything? How often would you guys go through all these steps of cleaning the car vs just washing with carwash? Another thing to keep in mind is that I dont have the time to spend on cleaning the car every week so with that factored in, is there a more simple way to do this that would yield similar results?

I've only had the car for about 2 weeks. The dealer got the car detailed before I got it. There are some rock chips--not sure if I should attempt to fix them since I havent even mastered washing/waxing my car yet.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:24 PM

make sure on the top protectant you apply it to a rag then the top and not directly on the top from the can. it will get on the paint and cause a horrible ugly mess.

car wash...go to wal mart and grab meguires car soap. its pink and is really cheap and easy to mix up. anything not super cheap will do the job.

if the car was detailed you probably wont need a clay bar but you should do the feel check. take a plastic bag the next time you wash the car and put it on the wet paint with your hadn in it then move it across the paint (in a way as to not hurt the paint with the edges of the bag) if it feels like glass your good but if it feels rigid you need a bar.

everything else sounds good, however some people dislike the way lexol smells so if thats important to you see how you like it before buying it.

also you might wanna grab some meguires tire shine (the gel kind) and some wheel cleaner. maybe some polish for the wheels and exhaust piping if that stuff being extra shiney is important to you.

good luck and if you get stuck just post on here and someone will give a helping hand.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

importkid gave you great tips...
my only addition would be that my first step to any detail process is inspection. i feel the car (with the backs of my fingers, to see if it needs clay) and look at it closely to see if i have any new swirls (polish would be the solution if there are any).
the car gets wax/synthetic if i have time (i never let them get to the point that they "need" it!)
Old 07-20-2006, 04:35 AM

Thanks for the great tips guys.

What about tools you guys use? I am not looking to spend a great deal on fancy tools yet at least as of right now until I have the hang of things. I'll just need to buy a bucket for washing the car, a few sponges for applying the car/wheel wash, some microfiber cloths to dry out the car and buff out the wax. Anything else? Do the wax and klasse aio all come with their own applicators? The interior stuff I can just use any clean rag to do right?

And usually a walmart or costco sells all this stuff for the best price? Or do I have to buy these things online. Just trying to make it easier with a one stop shop...
Old 07-20-2006, 05:43 AM

Might want detailing spray for clay lube (can use soap). Many use a wash mit instead of a sponge, but I've used both with no real difference. Just keep rinsing them.

A microfiber applicator or cloth works real well for the AIO. The GC will have a sponge applicator that is adequate.

I think you'll need to go with the AIO online, and if you don't have the GC already you may want to try S100 wax or even Meg's 26. The GC looks fine but really wears off quick.

If you're not into rewaxing often you could splurge on Klasse SG to top the AIO instead.

303 and Lexol with any soft rags you have lying around.

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:20 AM

[QUOTE=halestorm0,Jul 20 2006, 05:43 AM]I think you'll need to go with the AIO online, and if you don't have the GC already you may want to try S100 wax or even Meg's 26.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:40 AM

SG isn't as liquid but it's a very good shine. I rarely bother with a wax topper anymore. Honestly, I'm fairly picky and I don't notice enough difference on Sebring to worry about it.

Down here in FL, the GC really only lasts 3 weeks max without noticable degradation. I've found that the S100 and Meg's26 gets to the same stage at about 5-6 weeks. Doesn't mean there's no wax, just that a large percentage has diminished.

The Klasse combo is good for 4-5 months on my other cars that stay outside. I'd be comfortable with 6 on the garaged S, but I usually add another layer of SG every four to six weeks to have something to do .

Check out exb00st's NFR with Klasse to give you an idea (near the end) : https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=400714&st=25
Old 07-20-2006, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

btw, be sure to post up some pics after you do the detail!!
and also dont forget to pm me for your badge as shiny as your car!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by halestorm0,Jul 20 2006, 06:40 AM
The Klasse combo is good for 4-5 months on my other cars that stay outside. I'd be comfortable with 6 on the garaged S, but I usually add another layer of SG every four to six weeks to have something to do .
When you add another layer of SG do you have to use the AIO first then coat again with SG? or do you just wash and then add SG and be done ?
Old 07-20-2006, 07:48 AM

Nope. AIO removes SG. The layers of SG after AIO boost the shine and protection.

Use SG very sparingly. Dampen the applicator. Then apply one thin line of SG to it. It should be sufficient for an entire panel. Let it dry a few minutes, then wipe off.

If you put too much it will seem harder to remove, but just lightly mist your towel with detailing spray/water first.

AIO every 4+ months. It is literally wipe on, wipe off. Again, a little goes a long way.

Quick Reply: How does this wash/wax cleaning routine look?