S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How do you wash a car??? HAHA

Old 02-26-2002, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you wash a car??? HAHA

What do some of you guys recommend to wash your car? I heard great comments on Zainos products. Should I buy all Zaino's??? Currently I'm just using some Turtle Wax ($3) soap and just using some Meguiars Liquid Wax ($6) after and the car looks great. Is there something else that I'm missing out on? What do you guys recommend if I buy/use all Zaino's, I've seen a lot of steps and I think it might take like 2 hours to wash your car. Is there a basic step I should follow with???
Old 02-26-2002, 11:03 AM

After the first application, using Zaino is really pretty easy.

First time
wash with Dawn (to remove wax)
clay bar (to remove surface contamination)
wash again (I used Zaino - Z7 - car wash this time)
Z1
Z6 - Gloss enhancing spray - Zaino version of a quick detailer
then a couple of coats of Z5 and / or Z2 - with Z6 used inbetween coats

After that, all I usually do is use Z6 after I wash the car and every once in a while do another coat of Z2 or Z5. And a coat of Z2 or Z5 takes a lot less time to do than using a regular wax.

check out
www.zainobros.com
Old 02-26-2002, 01:07 PM

The biggest single factor, regardless of what product you use, is taking the time to make sure the surface is absolutely clean before applying that product.

A good bath with Dawn, followed by Clay Bar, then another wash to remove any residue left by the clay, will be the most time consuming part. You're home free after that!

Zaino products you should consider:

Z-18 Clay Bar
ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator ( Let's you apply up to 3 coats of polish per day). Use Z-1 if multiple coats/day is not important to you.
Z-2 Polish
Z-5 Polish for Swirls/Fine Scratcher
Z-6 Gloss Enhancer
Z-7 Car Wash
Z-16 Tire Gloss

The Zaino polishes, Z-6, and Z-7 all have a sunscreen. Z-7 also has some polish in it to give your car a freshly polished look. Z-7 is also pH neutral, making it an excellent choice for your convertible top.

Email Sal and he will also give you the contact info for the nearest distributor. You can also call him at 732.833.8800...you will speak directly with him and he'll gladly answer all your questions.
Old 02-26-2002, 01:37 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

I just completed a round of Dawn, Claybar, Z2 w/ZFX, Z6 on my week-old Sebring. I've never been fanatical about washing and waxing a car before, so I guess I have no standard of comparison, but I am REALLY, REALLY impressed with the Zaino products! The Clay Bar step definitely took the longest, but the difference, even on a brand new car, was very obvious. Over most areas, I couldn't see any accumulation of grit on the bar, but I could feel the difference. I used Z-7 car wash and water as a lubricant - worked just fine. For the polish, since it's still winter here, I decided to go the ZFX route so curing times wouldn't get too out of hand in the cold temperatures, and I'm glad I did, since I was able to do 2 coats of Z2 with Z-6 in between before it got dark. Total time was about 5 hours, including a little wait time in between for drying and quick-curing. I'm still planning on doing another 2-3 coats of Z-2 before the weather really breaks, but I don't expect each coat to take more than an hour, including washing and drying.

As to the Zaino - all I can say is WOW! I've never felt a smoother surface in my life - it was the old proverbial frictionless surface! I tried the 'towel test' as I've heard it described on this site - if a clean towel set in the middle of the hood slides right off without help, you're in good shape. (Passed with flying colors!).

Again, I can't speak for any other product, but Zaino certainly lives up to its reputation!

JonasM
Old 02-26-2002, 06:01 PM

JonasM,

Just curious, how much Z-2 did you mix? You should have been able to get two coats on your car with 1/2-3/4 of an ounce.

How did you clean the mixing bottle? The quickest and easiest way is to use isopropyl alcohol.

The gloss and depth will only increase with additional coats.

Did you apply the polish to the rubber moldings around the windows? I use a separate cotton cloth to apply it to the moldings to keep from trashing up the applicator. Makes the moldings slick and glossy!
Old 02-26-2002, 06:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by STreece
[B]JonasM,

Just curious, how much Z-2 did you mix? You should have been able to get two coats on your car with 1/2-3/4 of an ounce.

How did you clean the mixing bottle? The quickest and easiest way is to use isopropyl alcohol.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:30 AM

JonasM,
Try mixing only 1/2 ounce of polish with 2 drops of ZFX for your next application. I believe you will be able to get 2 coats from that. It is better to not mix enough than to mix too much and end up throwing it away. While Zaino can be applied in the sun, sometimes it is better to be out of direct sunlight so you can see the applicator leaving a VERY THIN trail across the surface. Properly applied, it should be hard to discern that you have a coat of polish on the car. An ounce should get you at least 3 coats!

You can apply Zaino to any smooth surface! It does a terrific job on rubber moldings and any painted plastic parts that are smooth. Really adds sparkle to tail light lenses.

Before I found out about alcohol for the bottle clean up, cleaning the mixing bottle was a little time consuming. I was using an oval sponge cut longitudinally to clean the inside of the bottle. Some people use a toothbrush. Clean up is real easy using alcohol. You will need a toothpick or other like object to clean out the nozzle.
Old 02-27-2002, 04:31 AM

Yeah, it was really tough to see the stuff going on in the sun on a Silver surface. I'll try your tips next time - Thanks!

Didn't I read somewhere about leaving a white residue on some dark surfaces, maybe rubber. Apparently the manufacturer recommended peanut butter to remove it? (OK, I just looked it up - seems like this was in reference to the plastic shroud of the windshield wipers. I'm guessing that that piece is rough, so the polish doesn't do so well. OK, next coat goes everywhere!

The next coat won't be too soon though - snow is expected for the next week!

Thanks!

JonasM
Old 02-27-2002, 04:33 AM

Cool - I hit 2nd gear with that post!

JonasM
Old 02-27-2002, 05:47 AM

Zaino will not leave a residue on smooth surfaces, even rubber moldings. The white, chalky, pain in the rear residue is a characteristic of all carnauba based products. You're right about the peanut butter. For those who have the misfortune of getting carnauba on rubber moldings, etc, peanut butter will remove it.

Quick Reply: How do you wash a car??? HAHA