S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How do I polish aluminum?

Old 09-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Sep 15 2004, 07:39 AM
I do have a drill. But it is not so much the cost of the buffing wheel, it is that the aluminum object is not that large and may be difficult to hold against the buffing wheel. But I will definitely think about it. Should I try to hold the object stationary and then move the drill+buffing wheel around or should I hold the drill+buffing wheel stationary and move the object around? Also do you have any recommentation for a polishing compound?

I sanded the damaged spot last night with 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper (wet, of course). And I discovered that the aluminum surface was originally coated. So I ended up sanding the whole object just to remove the coating from the rest of it. Now the object is smooth (mostly) with some sanding marks. It is not shiny, but sort of a muted shine to it.

Any recommendation for replacing the coating to protect the finish on aluminum?
Semi-chrome works good or any compound from the local hardware store. Tell them what you want to do. After it is polished you can give it a coat of car wax. No need to have it recoated unless it is exposed to salt and the elements.

You can hold the item or hold the drill. Both ways it's a real juggling act but that is what I did with the fuel rail.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had polished aluminum wheels on my truck , I got some stuff from a real truck stop call White Rabbit. It is fabulous and can be used by hand. It won't be as "perfect" as when I compound and buff using my drill, but it does a damn good job nonetheless. I just rub it in like I was spit-shining my boots all over again.. Don't freak out when the cloth you are using turns black... that's normal with any metal polish.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Sep 15 2004, 11:20 AM
When I had polished aluminum wheels on my truck , I got some stuff from a real truck stop call White Rabbit. It is fabulous and can be used by hand. It won't be as "perfect" as when I compound and buff using my drill, but it does a damn good job nonetheless. I just rub it in like I was spit-shining my boots all over again.. Don't freak out when the cloth you are using turns black... that's normal with any metal polish.
Thank for the lead. Any idea where I can find this "White Rabbit"? Can I find it at the local Pep Boys or Kragan? If I am not using a buffing wheel, do I use a cloth with it or a (tooth) brush?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Sep 15 2004, 02:20 PM
Check a real truck stop. I made a mistake though. It's actually called Magic Mix Metal Polish- The Lazy Man's Polish. It has a picture of a white rabbit on the front. I purchased both the cleaner and polish together, however, I have only had one occasion to use the cleaner.

Right now I'm using my drill and attachment to polish smooth the Comptech aftercooler. When I finish that, touch ups will be with this product.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:29 PM

Mothers aluminum polish works pretty good. I use it on my Harley.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by forpointsex,Sep 16 2004, 04:29 PM
Mothers aluminum polish works pretty good. I use it on my Harley.
Thanks for the additional lead. I am sure I can find this at the local Pep Boys or Kragan. I live in the city, so I don't know where to find a "truck stop" around here. But do you know if the Mothers polish requires a buffing wheel to apply it or can it be effective just hand polishing?

After just two days sitting around since I sanded it, I noticed that the finish is already getting dull. It definitely needs some kind of coating to protect the aluminum after it is polished.

Thanks, everyone for all the help.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteS2k,Sep 16 2004, 08:37 PM
After just two days sitting around since I sanded it, I noticed that the finish is already getting dull. It definitely needs some kind of coating to protect the aluminum after it is polished.

Thanks, everyone for all the help.
PM Mike Loving. That's his screenname. He polishes everything in his engine bay and has come across a product that somehow seals or protects the surface. It eliminates constant polishing.