S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How do I fix a deep scratch?

Old 06-26-2001, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I fix a deep scratch?

Hi everybody,

I've had a deep scratch in my hood next to the washer nozzle where a rock flew up for over a year now. Also recently got a very light scratch in the fender. Since I'm anal about keeping my car in tip top shape , I really want to fix them and tried using several applications of the Zaino Z5 this past week. But the Zaino isn't really filling in them.....it is but very slowly. I probably have 10 or more coats of the Z1, Z2, and Z6 on there already.

Is there a product out there that'll take care of these types of scratches? I also have a bottle of Silverstone Met. touchup paint from our sponsors but it is mainly a last resort......

Please help!

Mike
Old 06-26-2001, 12:11 PM

Mike. There's almost nothing you can do to fix a scratch, other than get the whole hood repainted. You might want to try this stuff: http://www.langka.com/ I tried it on mine, but although it didn't work too well for me, I put it down to the fact mine's white, and anything less than a perfect touch-up will show the difference between the white paint and the clear coat. I'm fairly sure it will work on a 'colored' car much better. At least with this product, if you're not happy with the result (after following their instructions) you can just keep buffing the touch-up paint until the scratch is back to how it was; you can then try it again (and again...until you're satisfied). At least this product allows you to do something (and it won't make it any worse). Apart from that, you have very few options to fill in the scratch.

BTW. For touch up work, I highly recommend investing in an eye loop (magnifying glass) and using that when you're applying the paint with a toothpick. This allows you to control how much paint goes on, and you'll get a much better result than if you do it by eye.
Old 06-26-2001, 01:24 PM

IF you are going to do the touch-up paint, you might want to read this for some tips.

http://www.carcareonline.com/paint_chips.html
Old 06-26-2001, 01:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had one of these on the hood of my black Viper. Gawd awful! Are you a handy kind 'o guy? 1st (and I don't know if this is available) you must find the exact color of paint in a spray form). A honda body shop may be able to sell you some and you can get it put in a pressurized spray can. Clean off the area to remove all polish. I masked off the area (about 2" X 3"), then gouged out the scratch to make sure the loose edges of it is gone, lightly sand the scratch. Sprayed the paint into a small dish till it pooled, used a paper match stick (torn end) to carefully apply the paint into the groove of the scratch to fill it. Let dry for about an hour and lightly sand to level out any 'humps' and to rough up the surrounding 2 X 3 area. Use the spray to lightly cover the area (do several coats with at least an hour in between). When you're happy with the results, let it cure for at least a week (you can drive the car but you'll have a 2 X 3 patch of slightly higher paint. Then go back and wet sand VERY carefully in stages (checking in between as to not sand away too much). When you've gotten it such that you've smooth out the area to match the adjacent area (use rubbing compound to do the final evening steps), clean and dry off and repeat with a couple of light layers of clear coat (should the same type as what's on the car). The clear coat may only need to be done with rubbing compound (depends on your previous technique). The way I looked at it, if I screwed up real bad, the paint shop's gonna get it anyway, just a bit later. As it turned out, noone could tell where the scratch was. Phew! (Try getting a book from the library or info from the internet on auto painting for more detailed info.) The ordinary guy can do it. Do you have the time and patience? (and the courage?)
Old 06-26-2001, 07:29 PM

Take it back to the dealer, they have some wicked stuff they use to remove some faily deep scratches. I was truly amazed.

well, take care folks!!!!!

So far my car has been great, just getting used to checking the oil frequently and toping it up with 10w 30 non-synthetic oil. It has approx 4500k.

Pece

I took it up to 230kph which is nothing but this was in between moderate traffic. sweet!!!
Old 06-28-2001, 03:44 PM

I have had pretty good luck with langka. I practiced on a friends ratty Ford Taurus. It has multiple scratches on it and I was able to try my hand on several. Take your time, let the touch up paint dry for about an hour and be very gentle with the langka stuff. It's not going to be perfect, but after a few trys, its very hard to tell that it was touched up. I also went to an art supply store and bought a very fine brush to use - it helped a lot. Good luck. And if you aren't satisfied with the langka process, you can always do a more aggressive method later.
Old 06-30-2001, 05:52 PM

don't know where to get this stuff, but a friend gave me a small bottle of it, i use it sparingly. i love it, it has removed small scratches and blemishes.

"plum crazy"

by the way if anyone knows where to get it, i would love to get my hands on a whole bottle.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2KCouple
[B]don't know where to get this stuff, but a friend gave me a small bottle of it, i use it sparingly.
Old 07-03-2001, 11:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2KCouple
[B]don't know where to get this stuff, but a friend gave me a small bottle of it, i use it sparingly.