S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

How to clean micrfiber cloths?

Old 06-02-2010, 04:39 AM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default How to clean micrfiber cloths?

With my old cars, i just used old t-shirts to remove wax/polish residue which i threw out afterwards. With the arrival of the S, i figured i will spend a few more dollars and give it the proper treatment by using microfibre clothes. My question is how do you go about washing these clothes to ensure the wax residue have been removed from the cloth?
Old 06-02-2010, 04:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Wash them in a washer but use a small amount of detergent and air dry them. Only put microfiber stuff in that load.

If you have one that was dropped on the ground and has a bunch of dirt and funk on it, keep that one away from the others.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wash and dry them on low heat with a FREE type of liquid detergent (ie no fabric softeners, no scents) - I also add vinegar in the rinse cycle
Old 06-02-2010, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I largely follow the recommendations of Leo Cerutti, who has long been involved in the textile industry. Here's what I do:

1) Wash after every use as soon as possible. Don't let them sit for a week or two.

2) Wash the microfiber towels together. Do not add other kinds of towels, rags, garments, etc.

3) Use HOT water. Hot water is desirable to enable the threads to effectively release dirt, grease, silicone, etc.

4) Use liquid detergent. I use the hypo-allergenic Tide. Use a little less detergent than prescribed.

5) No bleach or fabric softeners

6) Add a little vinegar to the rinse cycle. I usually then rinse the towels one more time.

7) Dry on medium or delicate setting--no softener sheets.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by akimel,Jun 2 2010, 07:44 AM
I largely follow the recommendation of Leo Cerutti, who has long been involved in the textile industry. Here's what I do:

1) Wash after every use as soon as possible. Don't let them sit for a week or two.

2) Wash the microfiber towels together. Do not add other kinds of towels, rags, garments, etc.

3) Use HOT water. Hot water is desirable to enable the threads to effectively release dirt, grease, silicone, etc.

4) Use liquid detergent. I use the hypo-allergenic Tide. Use a little less detergent than prescribed.

5) No bleach or fabric softeners

6) Add a little vinegar to the rinse cycle. I usually then rinse the towels one more time.

7) Dry on medium or delicate setting--no softener sheets.
my process is similar- except that i do not use hot water... i use warm water and i use mf cleaner products.

this is what i have been using the past few months:

http://www.autogeek.net/mr32.html

i still throw some vinegar in the rinse- it seems to soften even more. probably extra credit since the mf cleaner also does this, but you know about old habits!
Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is a good place to buy microfiber towels? I haven't bought any in a while and need get more.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 AM

good inf o:_
Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 AM

I've developed a fondness for the towels sold by PakShak, but all the good internet shops sell good quality microfiber towels. I'm sure the towels sold by Detailers Domain will serve you well. But you do want to get high quality towels. I learned this lesson the hard way. I thought the towels I bought at Advance Auto would work as well and not scratch the paint. Boy was I wrong!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:12 PM

One important thing to note, while vinegar can soften your towels, skip it every couple washes. Too much vinegar can coat the fibers and make them hydrophobic.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:57 PM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the good tips! But i left my dirty towels on top of the washer for 3 weeks now! Yikes! Better get to them ASAP.

Also, i just went to Wal-Mart and bought some microfiber towels. Are these good towels? If not, what brand is considered to be good?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: How to clean micrfiber cloths?