S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Hose Nozzles & Hose Accessories

Old 09-13-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hose Nozzles & Hose Accessories

OK. This is a multiple product review and it's a review of detailing tools rather than chemicals. So, the format will differ slightly from my typical review format. Plus, I just want to share my personal philosophy on buying hose accessories . . . buy them locally! Smaller detailing suppliers like Autopia, Autogeek, etc. do not have the buying power of a Target, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. So, you'll get the best prices locally.

Goodyear Flexible Hose Shut Off

Price:
$4.97 @ Home Depot

Packaging Info:
No packaging. Came with a tag which contained little information about the product. Although no instructions should be needed.

How I used it:
The shut off was attached to the end of my 75 ft. Goodyear hose. Multiple hose nozzles were added to the shut off and it was used without a hose nozzle to sheet off water as well.

Thoughts:
This is a great shut off valve for the business end of the hose. The shut off switch is big so it's easy to grip and it turns easily. The water flow is only reduced slightly and much less so than with my "quick connect" set. Overall, I like the ability to shut off the water at the "business end." This was particularly useful when I wanted to remove the hose nozzle so that I could "sheet" off the standing water before drying. The switch also allowed me to control the pressure of the water going through the nozzle which was an added benefit. It was also very easy to screw the shut off onto the hose thanks to the grips on the screw down end. I will definitely continue to use this product.

Melnor 7-Pattern Aqua Gun

Price:
$6.97 @ Home Depot

Packaging Info:
No packaging. Came with a tag which contained little information about the product. Although no instructions should be needed.

How I used it:
The nozzle was attached to my 75 ft. Goodyear commercial grade hose and Goodyear Flexible Hose Shut Off Valve. I used the nozzle while cleaning my wheels, tires, and wheel wells.

Thoughts:
Previous to buying this hose nozzle I had been using a similar 7-pattern nozzle which I had bought from Wal-Mart in the spring for a few dollars less than this one. The Wal-Mart one compared to the Melnor nozzle was clearly poorly made. The Melnor had a nice heft to it and the pattern selector clicked nicely into place. The patterns this nozzle made were also a lot more distinct compared to the Wal-Mart nozzle. There was no water spraying outside the intended pattern. Water pressure and flow with this nozzle was good and patterns like "shower" flowed with some good pressure. Overall, I felt this was a well made nozzle and definitely one of the best multi-patern nozzles I've used. This nozzle however will be going back to the store as it was not my personal favorite, but if you like multi-pattern nozzles I highly recommend this one.

[Brand Unknown] Foam Gun

Price:
~$2 @ Wal-Mart

Packaging Info:
This nozzle came attached to laminated paper board which I didn't bother to read as the nozzle seemed simple enough to use.

How I used it:
The nozzle was attached to my 75 ft. Goodyear commercial grade hose and Goodyear Flexible Hose Shut Off Valve. I used the nozzle to pre-soak the car as it had not been washed in weeks. The soap chamber was filled to the top with Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash Soap.

Thoughts:
I bought this nozzle with a simple purpose in mind . . . I just wanted it to put down a soapy solution on the car to pre-wash the car. Sometimes I can't wash the car as often as I want or it gets pretty dirty because of rain or something. In these situations I want to remove as much dirt as possible before washing to reduce any possiblity of marring. I didn't want to spend $50 on a Gilmour foam gun so I thought I would give this a try for $2.

This nozzle functioned exactly as I wanted it to. It put a layer of soapy water on the car and then rinsed it off along with a significant amount of loose dirt. It was simple to use with a 7-pattern spray selector at the end and a soap mix dial on the top to control how much soap was sprayed out. I do however have several complaints. The soap chamber had to be filled twice in order to cover my tiny little S2000 with sudsy water. I did have the soap solution dial set to the soapiest setting, but still I don't think it should use this much soap considering how soapy the solution was. My other complaint is that this nozzle is a seriously cheap POS. It weighs nothing and is 100% made of plastic & rubber parts. I'm not sure how long it will last, but I don't intend to use it that often either.

Overall, this nozzle serves the purpose I bought it for and I did buy it for a low, low price. I'll be using it from time to time, but I would not buy this nozzle intending to use it as my primary hose nozzle.

Goodyear Heavy Duty Fireman's Nozzle

Price:
$9.97 @ Home Depot

Packaging Info:

How I used it:
The nozzle was attached to my 75 ft. Goodyear commercial grade hose and Goodyear Flexible Hose Shut Off Valve. I used the nozzle while cleaning my wheels, tires, and wheel wells. The nozzle was also used while washing the car to pre-soak, rinse, and fill the wash bucket.

Thoughts:
A great hose nozzle . . . period! It's definitely heavy duty as it seems to weigh several pounds. Plus, almost the entire exterior of the nozzle is covered in rubber so you don't have to worry about it scratching your car. The fireman nozzle style is great because the spray pattern is infinitely variable and the water pressure/flow on this nozzle was great. When combined with my Goodyear Shut Off Valve I was able to nicely regulate water flow & spray pattern.

This is a great nozzle and my new go-to hose nozzle. It seems very heavy duty and I expect it to last a while.

Gilmour Ultimate Fireman's Nozzle w/ Handle

Price:
~$20 @ Lowe's

Packaging Info:

How I used it:
The nozzle was attached to my 75 ft. Goodyear commercial grade hose and Goodyear Flexible Hose Shut Off Valve. I used the nozzle while cleaning my wheels, tires, and wheel wells. The nozzle was also used while washing the car to pre-soak, rinse, and fill the wash bucket.

Thoughts:
I bought this nozzle in the spring because the "fireman's" nozzle style seems so popular on the detailing forums. This nozzle when I bought it seemed to have great potential too. A large easy to use on/off pull style switch (at top of nozzle), a dial to control water pressure, and the infinitely variable pattern of a fireman's nozzle. Plus, the nozzle is very hefty and well made by Gilmour.

Well, this nozzle is AWFUL especially when you consider I paid $20 for it. Even at the highest setting there almost no water pressure/flow coming out of this nozzle. The lower pressure was great for rinsing, but I like to be able to kick it up to make foam in the wash bucket or to spray away dirt in areas I can't reach. I really wish I had returned this thing, but I kept it too long.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

like the "multiple review" and comparo format!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome writeup. I might have to pick with the goodyear fireman nozzle....looks like a winner.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:14 PM

i just need a new nozzle cause the walmart one that i got isnt worth a damn especially after dropping it a few times
Old 09-13-2006, 04:11 PM

I bought the Walmart foam gun also. I figured that it wasn't much of a risk at $4, and it has worked well for me. I have been able to spray the S2000 completely with only one filling of the soap reservoir. It is obviously very cheaply made, but I can drop and break a whole bunch of them before spending the same amount of money that it takes to get one of the really good ones.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:42 PM

I have a firemans nozzle as well. Its a great nozzle. I believe I got it from autogeek but I paid quite a double what you paid. I really should have looked around before I bought it but I just bought it was a bunch of other things. I love it though!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:10 AM

I agree with all the above! I too was looking for a less expensive solution to the foam gun...So do you only use it when the car is really dirty? Did you just spray on and hose off?

Also, thanks for the input ont he fireman's hose, sounds like a keeper (the Goodyear version anyways).

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by SDCJ,Sep 14 2006, 12:10 PM
I agree with all the above! I too was looking for a less expensive solution to the foam gun...So do you only use it when the car is really dirty? Did you just spray on and hose off?

Also, thanks for the input ont he fireman's hose, sounds like a keeper (the Goodyear version anyways).

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!!
Yeah. I only would bother using the cheap-o foam gun first if the car was noticeably dirty. Typically I wash my car once a week so it's usually barely dirty when I wash it. So, it's not worth pre-washing it. Basically, I just sprayed on the soapy solution, let it sit for a couple minutes, and then hosed it off with a strong spray. It seemed to get my noticeably cleaner without having touched it. Although, I would still wash it after that as it was definitely still dirty.