S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Honda "Z-6 Alternative"

Old 08-11-2002, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda "Z-6 Alternative"

I know this has been brought up before, but I had a more specific question regarding this subject.

I have a friend who works for Honda dealer and he is able to get me the "showroom shine" finishing spray they use on their cars. Would this be considered comparable to the Zaino Z-6 spray used between washes? If so, it would save me a good deal of $$. Just wandering because I am almost out of Z-6 and it goes kinda fast! Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Old 08-12-2002, 11:02 AM

i wouldnt - personally.

see, its likely not a polymer product - and is more likely to be a silicone and wax spray - and now you will face compatability issues . . .

handy tip - if you find you are using way too much Z6, you can cut it with distilled, de-ionized water - and extend your use.

its not as concentrated,(obviously) but it will still serve its purpose . . .

i used to carry a mixed bottle with me when i had a black car - it will also not dry as fast on a hot dark car in the sun . . . so it gives you a chance to wipe it around. of course, you could just spray it onto your cloth and then apply to the car . ..
Old 08-12-2002, 11:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pretty sure that zaino is compatible with silicone or waxes, so i would think that most sprays are o.k.
i know that some use carnuba wax over zaino, and i use a spray cleaner that has wax in it-
i wonder what the showroom shine is... would be worth getting it just to try to find out who makes it and whats in it!
Old 08-12-2002, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering about diluting the Z-6. Since it does say "concentrated" on the bottle, I figured diluting would work. I really like the stuff and it keeps the car shiny and smooth as silk, but I don't like the cost. I wash the car about every three days because it is cheaper to wash than to keep using the Z-6! It takes me so much longer to wash and dry than it does to "touch up" with the Z-6 though, so it is becoming quite tie consuming.

How did you feel the results were when you diluted it? Did the finish still turn out very smooth? What did you use to apply it? I use a 100% cotton towel and it seems to work ok.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:47 PM

Couple of things here:

First, the "Show Room Finish" stuff they are referring to is probably just a lot of thin oil to make things shiney...

Second, if your going through Z6 fast, your using it wrong...REALLY wrong.

Your hood should use about 6-8 >DROPS< of z6 on an application, fenders around 4 >DROPS<... Don't spray the stuff onto the surface-- thats WAY too much.

If thats not doing it for you, dilute it 50% with water and increase to 2x the number of drops I mentioned... A bottle of Z6 used correctly will last years.

-- Aaron
Old 08-12-2002, 03:02 PM

!
Your hood should use about 6-8 >DROPS< of z6 on an application, fenders around 4 >DROPS<... Don't spray the stuff onto the surface-- thats WAY too much.
Are you sure we are both talking about Z-6? It comes in a spray bottle, right? Do you mean sprays instead of drops? If you are talking drops, how do you apply it? Sorry for the confusion
Old 08-12-2002, 04:45 PM

wow, that's like a total of 30 drops for the whole car! i don't do it that thin!

germ79,
a lot of folks don't "spray" on Z6, i only have the nozzle turned out 1 turn and only give a short squeeze, so only a few drops fall out. that's enough to wipe about half the hood.

do you really need to wash or is a quick dust enough? have you thought about a duster? i only use Z6 after a wash, so putting it on thin is no problem. but if the car was dusty and i was using Z6 i would use more then normal. I would be afraid i was scratching the car by rubbing dust all over the car.

washing twice a week! wow, that is a lot of washing, do you live on a dust farm?
Old 08-12-2002, 05:31 PM

washing twice a week! wow, that is a lot of washing, do you live on a dust farm?
LOL! I drive after dark every day and no matter which way I take to go home from work I have to drive on roads with no lights. I end up getting bugs smashed all over the car and driving the car around looking like that makes me crazy! I love to have a clean car!

What kind of applicator are you using? I use a towel and probably use about a dozen full sprays to do the entire car! What am I doing wrong?!?
Old 08-13-2002, 04:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by germ79
[B] LOL!
Old 08-13-2002, 04:42 AM

Vrm Vrm, is that stuff safe to use on Zaino? Do you have to rinse the surface afterward?

Quick Reply: Honda "Z-6 Alternative"