S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

HELP! What happened to my wheels?

Old 07-20-2002, 08:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HELP! What happened to my wheels?

Just started detailing the new car. Following the autopia detailing guide to the letter. As instructed, I washed the tires and wheels first. I used Eagle One tire cleaner (no bleach) and P21S wheel cleaner (supposedly the best). I used OXO tire brushes and OXO wheel brushes. I rinsed the crap out of them after cleaning, as instructed. Now I have a very dull finish with streaks on the wheels. Almost looks bleached. There is no bleach in the products I used. Any ideas on what went wrong and what to do about it?
Old 07-20-2002, 09:18 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I hand dry the wheels. Since they are powder coated, and most brushes just don't clean the brake film off very well. I just do it by hand (every weekend or two) using the same soap as the car. I just to them last.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zaino your wheels, it will make taking the brake dust off a lot easier.

Sorry OhioRacer, not sure what happened to your wheels. Try Zainoing them, hopefully it will restore the shine.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:36 AM

I asked a professional detailer what they use and he told me soap and water. He told me never to use any of the wheel cleaners on the market. If the wheels are aluminum there probably is a clearcoat finish on them...... Chemicals will dull their finish. I only use a mild car wash soap and a soft brush on my wheels. Never have a problem.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:15 PM

Bummer . I bought this stuff specifically becasue it was ok for our wheels. No harmful chemicals. What is the Zaino product you are recommending?
Old 07-20-2002, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by OhioRacer
Bummer . I bought this stuff specifically becasue it was ok for our wheels. No harmful chemicals. What is the Zaino product you are recommending?
OhioRacer, treat your wheels just like you would the hood or a fender. The wheels have been painted in some places and machine cut in others, but overall they have been clearcoated, just like the rest of the car. I have had very good results with soap and water. I keep the wheels polished and waxed and the brake dust washes right off without any trouble. I would recommend that you wash the wheels with an old mitt, but no brushes of any sort. The directions that you followed sound like they were meant for non clearcoated wheels.

Bottom line: treat your wheels just like any other part of your car and you will be just fine. Clean, polish, wax, etc.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 07-20-2002, 02:22 PM

If you use that stuff,make sure you spray it on a cool/cold wheel.If it dries you get the streaking.Any metal polish should take it off....it's happened to me a time or two
Old 07-20-2002, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Flyin Wedge
If you use that stuff,make sure you spray it on a cool/cold wheel.If it dries you get the streaking.Any metal polish should take it off....it's happened to me a time or two
I did spray it on cold wheels. Any recommendation on metal polish? Pisses me off to hear about just using soap and water. I wish I would have known that before buying that "wheel kit". Anyway, one good thing. The Black Opal tire spray is tits! Damn tires look like mirrors. Unfortunately, I'm sure this stuff will end up all over the side of my car.
Old 07-20-2002, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by OhioRacer

I did spray it on cold wheels. Any recommendation on metal polish? Pisses me off to hear about just using soap and water. I wish I would have known that before buying that "wheel kit". Anyway, one good thing. The Black Opal tire spray is tits! Damn tires look like mirrors. Unfortunately, I'm sure this stuff will end up all over the side of my car.
You might send the properautocare folks a quick email with the details of what happened. I would think that they would try to make it right for you?

Bob

PS I just did a quick look at the properautocare site and this is what I found:

We guarantee your satisfaction with a no-hassle policy!

When we say "no-hassle" we mean just that. If a product fails to satisfy you, return the product, postage prepaid, and we'll exchange it or refund your money in full (minus original shipping charges), whichever you wish. We stand behind everything we sell.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:19 AM

Sounds like it dried on the wheel,how long did you wait before hosing it off?As far as a polish goes,it's hard to say w/o seeing how bad it's stained.I know of a product called Bright Boy that's got a small amount of "grit" to it that may work if the staining is bad.

Quick Reply: HELP! What happened to my wheels?