S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

help with swirl marks

Old 04-02-2002, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with swirl marks

Any suggestions on how to remove swirl marks on a black car? Thanks.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:40 PM

quoted from www.autopia-carport.com, more pearls of wisdom from DWB.

by David W. Bynon

A buffer in the hands of a pro can do wonders on a car that has heavy oxidation or minor scratches. Most body shops can use a buffer to blend touch-ups to perfection. Unfortunately, many detail shops and buffer owners don't know how to use the tool, or use the wrong compounds.

Swirls can be removed. However, it will take a fair amount of work on your part. Doing it one small section at a time will allow you to see progress.

If you get swirl marks, most likely the most noticeable area is your hood and trunk sections. To remove these swirl marks, use a product like 3M Perfect-It or Meguiar's swirl Remover. They both have very mild abrasives. They work slow. They also contain essential oils that will enhance the gloss, detracting from the swirls.

The best tool to apply Swirl Remover is a terry cloth applicator pad (not a terry cloth towel) or a foam applicator. Apply swirl remover by rubbing a generous amount into the paint fore and aft. Do not rub in circles, do not rub side to side, only rub front to rear.

Once the Swirl Remover begins to haze, use a clean terry cloth towel to buff. Again, front to rear only. You will need to do this several times to make an impact. Your hood alone, by hand, may take as long as an hour and a half to two hours. Don't be alarmed by color coming off on your towel. If your car does not have a clear coat, some color will come off on your applicator and towels.

When you're done with the Swirl Remover, put on your favorite wax. If you can see swirls before you wax, you'll see then after you wax. Wax will not hide imperfections.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:34 AM

3M Stratch Remover for (Dark/Light) cars.

Highly recommended for light swirls... Make my blk/blk look like a black mirror. Also recommended by Sal Zaino.

You'll need a machine-buffer to get it 'glass perfect'. Go slow and light.

btw-- on a black car, I wouldn't try this by hand, you'll break your arm off before finishing one panel (I can't even imagine trying the hood by hand).

-- Aaron
Old 04-03-2002, 07:08 AM

I agree, I wouldn't tackle it without a Porter Cable 7242 or simular buffer.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by amartin
[B]3M Stratch Remover for (Dark/Light) cars.

Highly recommended for light swirls... Make my blk/blk look like a black mirror.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by boiler

I also have a Porter-Cable polisher and highly recommend it. I tried it the hard way, then I bought the polisher. My car looks like a red mirror. The 3M swirl mark remover for dark cars is the only way to go. After you are finished polishing the car, you will not believe how good it looks.
Me, too, on the Porter Cable. Great machine. Pretty much goof-proof. Got a model 7336 for $109 at Lowe's. Used the 3M Swirl Mark Remover just recently on a customer's black car hood and spoiler. Took about 20 minutes. He thinks I'm a pro. I once did an Explorer by hand using the 3M. Took me two days in 90 degree heat. That turned out great, but I've got better things to do with my time.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have 3m swirl remover which i bought for my daughter's black car... never thought about using it on my new car until i read this thread.
it has mild abrasives- you guys sure its o.k. for a new finish???

i also have the porter cable machine and will try the 3m on my car if you really think it wont burn into the clear coat-
Old 04-05-2002, 08:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wanabe
[B]i have 3m swirl remover which i bought for my daughter's black car... never thought about using it on my new car until i read this thread.
Old 04-06-2002, 02:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stenoslave
[B]

Then use a 100% cotton towel to buff off.
Old 04-06-2002, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wanabe
[B]i have 3m swirl remover which i bought for my daughter's black car... never thought about using it on my new car until i read this thread.

Quick Reply: help with swirl marks