S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Help With Swirl marks

Old 11-08-2006, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys crack me up.....

I respect the fact that you form and opinion from your own personal use. I've got my as well. However, none of your statements are based or backed up with any data to support them, yet you make them as though they were.

You can't do anything more than offer an opinion as to how long a wax will last or how what the cost benefit might be or not. As a new member on this forum, I'm amazed how many wild-ass statements are made in regards to this topic. I just hope most people reading these things take them all with a small grain of salt and use this info with extreme caution.

I used to be like you guys and had garage load full of half used stuff. I was always looking for the best stuff for my boat and cars. Years later, I formed my opinion on that subject. I'm sure one day you will to. If I had one piece of advice to offer it would be not to believe everything you're told because most of the time is simply not true.

Regards,

Flish
Old 11-08-2006, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, I have no idea which brand to go with now!

I'm kind of leaning towards the Griot's line but I've noticed a lot of you use several brands at the same time. Are there any of you besides Flish that use ONE single brand and their entire line religiously?

Dario
Old 11-08-2006, 05:45 AM

Take a look at this web site.

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/

I like the layout and they seem to be pretty diverse, product wise. There are many suppliers that offer systems like Griots. Here are a couple that I'm aware of...

Zymol
Meguiars

I'm sure there are plenty more but those should give you a good start. Glad to see you're doing your research before you dive in. If you're considering using a porter cable, which I think is a good idea then you might want to look at this DVD. It really shows you how to use the thing and give you the confidence to work on your car so you can have fun.

They push Meguiars product line but the real value is learning how to use polishes and the proter cable.

http://www.showcargarage.com/index.p...e=1960Corvette

The old vette they use has the most fragile paint in the world so you know you'll be in good shape with your car.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've heard that Sonus' line is respectable (and is endorsed by Autopia), but I haven't actually heard anyone proclaim loyalty to only Sonus. I think certain brands excel at different steps in the process, hence the mixing of products. But I'm sure any major, complete line will produce stunning results when used properly.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by kctheflish,Nov 8 2006, 05:48 AM
You guys crack me up.....

I respect the fact that you form and opinion from your own personal use. I've got my as well. However, none of your statements are based or backed up with any data to support them, yet you make them as though they were.

You can't do anything more than offer an opinion as to how long a wax will last or how what the cost benefit might be or not. As a new member on this forum, I'm amazed how many wild-ass statements are made in regards to this topic. I just hope most people reading these things take them all with a small grain of salt and use this info with extreme caution.

I used to be like you guys and had garage load full of half used stuff. I was always looking for the best stuff for my boat and cars. Years later, I formed my opinion on that subject. I'm sure one day you will to. If I had one piece of advice to offer it would be not to believe everything you're told because most of the time is simply not true.

Regards,

Flish
Seriously . . . you're cracking ME up. Of course I'm not offering you hard data. You keep mentioning to me "hard data" and I don't know where you think it's going to come from because I don't see you offering up any either.

If there's one thing detailing aficianados know and admit product selection is a subjective decision. If a giant company like Meguiar's has admitted time and time again that they cannot come up with an objective measurement for "shine" then I don't think anyone else would be able to either. Not only that but there are numerous criteria a product can be judged on. Here are just a few off the top of my head . . .

-ease of application
-ease of removal
-wetness
-depth
-reflectivity
-sharpness of reflections
-color accuracy of reflections
-durability
-beading tightness
-water repellency

and there are many, many more.

As much as you or I would love to see hard data (a/k/a objective information) as to what products are "the best" it's just not going to happen. All I can offer is my own personal opinion from having used many, many of the products available and the opinions I've read of 100's if not 1000's of detailers who post to forums like this one. Of course, opinions should always be taken with a grain of salt because they are only opinions after all. Unfortunately, in this endeavor all we have to go on is opinion. Also, product performance can vary due to application differences and climate conditions. So, what works well for a person in Texas might not work well for someone in Idaho.

Personally, I take offense that you regard my opinions as "wild ass" as they are carefully formulated and worded so as to help my fellow wash & wax wackos select products. I have no affiliation with any detailing company. So, I receive no gain by doing this. I do it as a service to this community.

Originally Posted by animeS2K, Nov 8 2006, 01:22 AM
claims to concourse and museum use are seldom what they appear on the surface (hah!)

That's funny Chris. BTW, just to illustrate your point . . .

last spring I went to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston to see Ralph Lauren's car collection which was on display. One of the cars was his Bugatti Atlantique which was the car Zymol's Atlantique wax was originally formulated for. IIRC this car won best in show at Pebble one year. Anyway, this car and many of the other very, very, very expensive cars were swirled up pretty good. Later in talking to my local Zymol guy, I found out that RL's personal detailer follows the cars and that he had come into the store to buy a bunch of Zymol. So, while I personally think Zymol is a great product it goes to show knowing how to use a product makes a difference as well.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by s2krazy01,Nov 8 2006, 09:50 AM
i've heard that Sonus' line is respectable (and is endorsed by Autopia), but I haven't actually heard anyone proclaim loyalty to only Sonus. I think certain brands excel at different steps in the process, hence the mixing of products. But I'm sure any major, complete line will produce stunning results when used properly.
I've worked with the guys as Sonus and they make a good set of products. But Autopia IS Sonus (or vice versa). Anyway, Sonus is Autopia's house brand, just as Autogeek has Detailers Pride, Wolfgang, Pinnacle, etc. There are really quite a number of house brands out there that are great quality products.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:48 AM

Which PC do you use? The Random Orbital Polisher or the Circular Polisher?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=kctheflish,Nov 8 2006, 05:48 AM]You guys crack me up.....

Old 11-08-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by GranPrix,Nov 8 2006, 11:48 AM
Which PC do you use? The Random Orbital Polisher or the Circular Polisher?
The PC (Porter Cable), when referred to simply as a PC, is a random orbital machine.

Porter Cable does MAKE a circular (rotary) polisher, but you aren't likely to find anyone referring to that as a "PC". Rotary polishers are typically something best left to the more experienced or professional detailer. Unless you spend a good amount of time getting proficient with one, they can be quite disastrous for your paint job!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:01 AM

But isn't a random orbital one of the causes of swirls or am I just not knowing what the hell I'm doing?

Quick Reply: Help With Swirl marks