S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Help With Swirl marks

Old 10-26-2006, 04:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered my SFX-2/3 polishes, I can't wait! No more being embarassed of my scratched finish.

just double checking: do you think SFX-2 is abrasive enough to remove moderate swirls/scratches? I read a month ago about a black RSX that was restored with Poorboys 2.5. my swirls were equivalent to those in the pics. if anything I could just do multiple passes, right?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to do it right here's what I use. We picked up our Black 2006 S2k with a crap load of swirls and scratches thanks to the idiots at the dealer. I've detailing our other cars for about 5 years now and have pretty much got the process down.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1...1000&L2=L2_1004

Here's a before shot, loaded with swirls.

Now after polishing and waxing

http://homepage.mac.com/kc_the_flish/.Pict...1%20%20copy.jpg

In my opinion...there products work...period

Flsih
Old 10-28-2006, 09:35 PM

thanks Flish. i'll keep that in mind if the Sonus doesn't work. i was recommended to use Sonus by an experienced member and shop owner and have heard nothing but good things about it. plus, i'm already using their pads so it should be a good match.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:16 AM

Have no experience with Sonus so I hope it works out for you. Also you might want to consider buying the Detailing DVD showing how to use a Porter Cable orbital. It's worth every penny and will save you a ton of work.

Here's the link

http://www.showcargarage.com/index.p...e=1960Corvette
Old 10-29-2006, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by kctheflish,Oct 29 2006, 07:16 AM
Have no experience with Sonus so I hope it works out for you. Also you might want to consider buying the Detailing DVD showing how to use a Porter Cable orbital. It's worth every penny and will save you a ton of work.

Here's the link

http://www.showcargarage.com/index.p...e=1960Corvette

This DVD is VERY helpful. However, IMO Griot's Garage products are overpriced and most people on the detailing boards agree there are other products out there for less money which are easier to work with.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The Sonus products do definitely work. Take a look at my post here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=323095
Old 10-30-2006, 01:37 AM

I'm sure you can get great results with several types of products on the market however, none will work if you don't know how to use them correctly. Remember, those swirls marks you're trying to remove didn't get on the paint by themselves. Whatever product you go with I'd still strongly recommend you check out that video. It'll save you a ton of grief and make your detailing efforts worthwhile.

I can't give you any data to compare cost of Griot's verses other brands. I've been using there stuff for over ten year so I guess I'm a bit bias in that regard. They've always been good to me and give outstanding results. For me the issue of cost verses results has always favored results. That old saying, you get what you pay for seems to apply.

Bottom line, have fun no matter what you do...
Old 10-30-2006, 02:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

There definitely are a lot of products on the market today and as DavidB (s2ki member name: autopia) stresses in his "Perfect Shine" method - it's all about process - just as you stated. You could use even relatively crappy products (not saying Griots are, mind you!) and get good results if you have a good process and know how to use the products at hand.

I think what was suggested re: Griots is that there are other products out there that WILL give you comparable results - however, for a little less money you can find products today that work very well and are *easy* to work with. I've gone through so many polishes trying to find the perfect polish (low dusting, good working time, easy to tell when it's time to stop, good cutting/polishing/finishing) and I've ended up mixing my own from other components (personal favorite: Menzerna 106FF + ClearKote's Red Moose Machine Glaze).
Old 10-30-2006, 02:33 AM

I would agree...stick with what works best for your particular application. Process is much more important than product in these cases. You're not producing a garage queen in most cases on this forum. Most of these cars are daily drivers and developing a good process that covers cleaning and maintaining are most important. To many times I read aguements concerning one product versus another. I'm a firm believer that you need to have the process down, dead to rights so to speak, then you can debate product preference afterwards.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:12 AM

last question: if I have the SFX pads would I use yellow or white for the SFX-2? i've heard the SFX are more abrasive than the DAS pads, so what would be equivalent to the green DAS Anime uses in his post?

sorry to answer my own question but i meandered over to autopia and it seems the white pad would be the one to use. i wish i had been more of an active member on W&W before I bought my pads because I just assumed more expensive = better and got the SFX pads. now it seems everyone is using the DAS. any particular reason why?

Quick Reply: Help With Swirl marks