S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Help!!Light Scratch!!!

Old 05-04-2003, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!Light Scratch!!!

Guys, I've searched and searched, but am looking for direct advice. I have a pretty long scratch on the hood of my car. It's pretty fine, but I can barely feel it with my finger nail. It's about 1.5 feet long across the hood, and it's fine, but it's driving me nuts. I have some Meguir's scratch remover but wanted to seek advice before I attack the scratch. My car's black, if that matters. Also, I don't have a porter cable, so I'll be doing it by hand. Can someone give me some application advice and tips before I make things even worse. I just got my car and haven't zaino'ed yet and would love to get the scratch out and zaino on top of it. I think it's definitely too deep for Z5. Thanks for the help...
Old 05-04-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the scratch just in the clearcoat or is it into the color? If it is just in the clearcoat, you stand a much better chance of removing it, or at least making it much better than it is now. If it is pretty deep, you might not be able to remove it completely. Here is a link that will help you Classic Motoring Accessories

I found the link that I was really looking for here Autopia

Good luck,
Bob
Old 05-04-2003, 03:11 PM

Is your car new? When I picked up my new car 2 weeks ago it looked like it had a long scratch on the hood that was adhesive from the shipping tape that I removed when I claybarred before the Z5.

If you cannot get it out with the Z5 I have used on my black Vette, polishing wax that will remove a little clearcoat by hand.

If you have to use a wheel to get it out have it done professionally. I have used a body shop that specializes in restoring expensive classic cars and exotics. Black is tough and the scratch can be removed with special compounds or fine sandpaper so you cannot see it.

I non- profesional can "burn" the finish with a wheel or take off to much paint and get into the primer.

The money is worth paying to have it done right. I did not let the dealer touch my new car to detail it but if I had your problem I would pay the right person to take care of it.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good advice in the prior posts... the only things that i would add:
i would always go less aggressive first and more aggressive only if less doesnt work!
least aggressive would be a swirl cover... next a swirl remover... after that a scratch remover (basically polishes that are similar to rubbing compounds) - as you move up this progression you move from no effect to the clearcoat to the partial removal of the clearcoat (no grit to small grit to larger grit- grit is like mild sandpaper).
Old 05-04-2003, 06:23 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had good luck with Meguiar's Scratch-X.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:59 AM

The scatch is definitely only in the clear coat, and it's definitely a scratch, not adhesive. I feel it's too deep for Z5, lig, any tips on using the Meguiar's scratch X? Thanks!!
Old 05-05-2003, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

(good luck with this and go slow!)
from properautocare.com:

" Removing a scratch requires you to abrade away the top layer of paint or clear coat that contains the scratch. This is best accomplished with a machine polisher.
It's almost impossible to remove enough paint by hand to completely remove a scratch. What we can do is round off the top edge of the scratch and rob sunlight of a sharp edge to cause a reflection. We can then apply a finishing polish which fills the scratch with fillers and finish with a coat of wax or paint sealant.
My favorite product for removing/ reducing scratches by hand is Eagle One Scratch Remover but 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound will also work.

Procedure:
Apply some Eagle One Scratch Remover to a Microfiber Applicator Pad and rub the scratch using moderate pressure. Rub at a right angle, across the scratch. Wipe the scratch with a Terry towel or Microfiber towel and inspect the surface. If the scratch remains, repeat the procedure, rubbing more aggressively. Continue the rubbing and inspecting procedure until no further improvement can be observed."
Old 05-06-2003, 11:28 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I used a microfiber towel for the first time the other day when applying the Scratch-X. No more cotton for me... It worked beautifully!
Old 05-07-2003, 05:09 AM

Dudes, just wanted to give props to the Meguiar's Scratch X. After using some pretty heavy pressure, and rubbing for a bit, I all but got the scratch out. I was worried it wouldn't work, but I'd say I'm very satisfied with the outcome. I currently have the Z1 and Z5 drying on the car right now, a couple more coats of Z5 and it'll look perfect. Thanks for your help guys, if anyone else needs help getting a clear coat scratch out, I can give advice cause now I'm experienced....
Old 05-09-2003, 12:30 PM

hi all,
whats this microfiber stuff your all talking about?
is it that good

Quick Reply: Help!!Light Scratch!!!