S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Help getting rid of hard water marks on windshield

Old 02-14-2006, 12:33 PM
RBR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use vinegar like someone mentioned above, or, cut a lemon in half, the acid in the lemon will dissolve the calcium deposits left by the water. Just rub the lemon on the area until you get them off, then use a glass cleaner afterwards.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 00CivicSi,Feb 14 2006, 02:53 PM
However, will any of these products (such as the Autoglym glass polish or the Detailer's Pride High Performance Glass Restorer) work to remove/minimize the tiny "pits" in the windshield that make it appear to be sandblasted? Lately, as I drive into the sun on my way home in the evening (in my beater of course) all the little specs become very annoying.
nope. pits are pits, holes in the glass. there's no polishing them out, unfortunately.

I've never had luck with vinegar and have used the Zaino and Sonus glass polishes with great success.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ole standby is CLR or Limeaway. Hard water spots are history A new razor blade works wonders too scrapping away the excess beforehand.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Jo2

The vinegar method has also worked for me in the past. In fact, before I get ready to do a full out detail with my pc and all. I"ll wash the car with a mixture of dish soap, half water, and half vinegar. The dish soap obviously strips all remenants of wax from the car, and the vinegar takes care of the waterspots.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:06 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

If vinegar doesn't work and you don't have a polish handy go pick up some BonAmi cleanser or polish at your grocery store. It will be in the cleaning section. I usually just use Klasse AIO and have never had a problem.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:58 AM

I detail for a living (not much of a living), but at work, when the water spots are seriously bad, we use an acid based wheel cleaner on the windows. You just have to test it on a small area first, because some will actually fog up the glass (you can use a glass polish to remove the fogging effect). Another thing you might try, is steel wool, and glass cleaner if they're light. As long as it's a fine grade steel wool, it will not scratch your windows. Also, if that's not enough, use a polish and steel wool. Despite what others say, I have also used very harsh buffing compounds (the kind that are equivalent to 1500grit sandpaper) and they take the water spots off and leave the window looking fine.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Marc-OS,Feb 18 2006, 10:58 AM
I detail for a living (not much of a living), but at work, when the water spots are seriously bad, we use an acid based wheel cleaner on the windows.
Wheel acid on windows . . . I've never heard that before. Wouldn't the wheel acid eat right through any rubber seals around the window? I would also be highly concerned about getting acid overspray on my convertible top or the vinyl tape on the window frame.

IMO Acid is best used sparingly because it represents a serious health hazard and an enviromental hazard. I also try my best never to recommend acid to newbs/amateurs because it's easier to destroy something with acid than it is to use properly.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:43 PM

You spray the acid on a pad first, so you can control where it goes. Caution must be taken to avoid getting it on anything besides the windows; actually, you can put it on paint, but you need to spray it off with water and wax over it after you're done. The acid we use at work is very mild, and is usually diluted. Honestly, before attempting you should always test the acid on a small spot that cant be seen from the outside (ie: door jams).
Old 02-18-2006, 01:36 PM

I have & hopefully had some water marks on a replacement windshield installed a few months back - the water marks were visible under certain light condition and sometimes in the rain as well...

I was going to try a glass polish once the weather here in Jersey became more consistant with detailing ... however this thread has prompted me to try the white vinegar method to remove - just got back in... other than looking very clean at this point I can't quite tell if the vinegar removed the water marks from the windshield... will report back after a night time drive and maybe again after some rain etc...

Old 02-20-2006, 04:33 PM

I think the Vinegar worked on the windshield. I'll have to see through it on a sunny morning to be sure though... I just put a small amount in the microwave and wiped it on with a paper towel.

Seems like $0.99 well spent though.

Too bad it wouldn't work on my shower doors though...

And ooooh that smell...