S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Help getting rid of hard water marks on windshield

Old 02-13-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Help getting rid of hard water marks on windshield

There are hundreds of little hard water marks that I only see if the light is hitting at certain angles. I have tried Windex and Eagle auto-glass cleaner with a micro-fiber but the marks just won't go away!

What works best? I saw some kind of powder mix for cleaning shower doors at Home Depot and I was thinking of trying that out...
Old 02-13-2006, 03:19 PM

Have you tried Clay Bar? That, some finishing spray, and elbow grease should get that stuff off.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and if clay doesnt get it, a glass polish should...

what other products (brands) are you using on the car (so we can tell you whether they make a glass polish that we like or not)?
Old 02-13-2006, 03:32 PM

I haven't tried clay bar or glass polish, I'll give that a shot. I don't have any brand loyalty, so whatever works at a good price will do!

Thanks for the recommendations!
Old 02-13-2006, 03:37 PM

Oh forgot, you can also use swirl remover / polish. There are other polishes that have small amounts of abrasives that will work also.

When I do a full detail, I start with dish soap, then clay, then 3M swirl remover, then polish and glaze, then wax. This leaves my car's paint feeling like soft water. I use brands ranging from Zaino, 3M, to Meguiars professional products.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw,Feb 13 2006, 04:32 PM
I haven't tried clay bar or glass polish, I'll give that a shot. I don't have any brand loyalty, so whatever works at a good price will do!

Thanks for the recommendations!
if i was going to use any glass polish i could, it would probably be autoglym...

as gary suggests, you can also use the same polish that you use on the paint- but if you go that route, go the least aggressive you can (like a paint cleaner or swirl remover as he suggests).

unless i am trying to get a very small spot, i use the porter cable with the glass polish- and always try a small corner first to see how it is doing. once i am happy with the product and the way it is working, i move on to get the rest of the glass.

so, again my first choice is autoglym with the porter cable for an entire windshield polishing.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Feb 13 2006, 05:06 PM
so, again my first choice is autoglym with the porter cable for an entire windshield polishing.
I've never used the Autoglym Glass Polish. However, I recently have been using Detailer's Pride High Performance Glass Restorer with great success.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:04 AM

If all else fails, get some vinegar and put it in a plastic spray bottle and throw it in the microwave to warm it up a bit then give it a try. The vinegar will eat right through the water spots very quickly when it is warm.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moonsurfer,Feb 14 2006, 01:04 PM
If all else fails, get some vinegar and put it in a plastic spray bottle and throw it in the microwave to warm it up a bit then give it a try. The vinegar will eat right through the water spots very quickly when it is warm.
This sounds a lot easier than actually polishing if it is primarily to remove the mineral desposits from hard water. I read on one of the popular detailing e-zines that this works on glass and metal (although, not on paint as the minerals etch the paint, so you will still see the etching).

However, will any of these products (such as the Autoglym glass polish or the Detailer's Pride High Performance Glass Restorer) work to remove/minimize the tiny "pits" in the windshield that make it appear to be sandblasted? Lately, as I drive into the sun on my way home in the evening (in my beater of course) all the little specs become very annoying.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 00CivicSi,Feb 14 2006, 11:53 AM
This sounds a lot easier than actually polishing if it is primarily to remove the mineral desposits from hard water.
Should I just try that first?

I had no idea there was such a thing as glass polish!

Quick Reply: Help getting rid of hard water marks on windshield