S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Help for a Beginner

Old 09-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for a Beginner

Okay, first...wow. I just recently dove into the world of wash & wax and I had no idea how complicated this was going to be. Choices, choices, choices...

My situation is that I live in an apartment complex and park the car outdoors. It is my DD, so I have no expectations about it being constantly glossy and clean, but I do want to make sure that the paint stays in good condition. It gets washed on a pretty regular basis (normally with some Meguiars Gold) and then the top treated with some Raggtopp cleaner and protectant.

I know I need to take better care of the finish though so I've starting looking at waxes, sealants, etc and am pretty overwhelmed with the different options and opinions.

My main priorities are durability, price, and ease of application (appearance is important but secondary).

So, my thoughts were to get:
• A clay bar - maybe Meguiars or Mothers (not sure if there's much of a difference here between OTC and speciality brand products?)
• Werkstat Prime (any of the special editions recommended?)
• Werkstat Acrylic Jett: Trigger (this seemed like an easy to apply, durable sealant that looked good on light colors, based on what I read).
• I have some Meguiars Quick Detailing Spray I'd probably use as well

I wanted to see if anyone had any recommended changes to this line up (for a clay bar, different polish or sealant, different wash, QD spray, etc).

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Charlie
Old 09-13-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a number of the Werkstat products and like them very much, very easy to use. I am using the Prime Carnauba, followed by the Acrylic Jett Trigger. Jeff recommended this combination, rather than the reverse, when I asked about a combination containing carnauba. The standard Prime may be even slightly easier to use.

I also ordered the Acrylic Glos (Glos should match the Jett, it's designed to be a "refreshener" for the Jett layer), which I don't find myself using much, and the Quick Wash, which I use all the time as a quick detailer. I'd order two bottles to save on shipping up front (the other products will last much longer).

I also picked up a jar of S100 carnuauba paste wax from a local Harley Davidson dealer to use as a final step, and really like the overall results.

I am not very good about claying my car. I have used the clay kits from both Meguiars and Mothers and can't recall a huge difference. I also have the green clay from Sonus (ultra fine I think it's called) that is supposed to be a bit gentler on the paint.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Here are a couple of my old detail posts -

My first detail with the Werkstatt products:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=489400&hl=

And one a year later when I added S100 as the last step (with much better pictures):
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=626464&hl=
Old 09-14-2010, 04:49 AM

Thanks for the reply philbert. Good to know about the S100. I saw on their website it says "...you will be amazed at the depth of shine and darkening of dark colored surfaces." Is that just speaking to the fact that black is the hardest color to work with? Or do you think it is formulated to actually enhance darker colors?

Just out of curiosity, why do you use the Quick Wash over the Acrylic Glos? Just a better detailer?

Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 AM

I have trouble fully seeing/appreciating some of the things described by those more into detailing than me, and I think "darkening" is one of those. My thought is that some products that add "shine" to a dark color also create the illusion of lightening the base color. When the wax supposedly "darkens" the paint, you see black as deep back, rather than more of a grey created by all the reflected light from a shiny surface. How a "darkening" is actually accomplished, I don't really know.

With respect to Quick Wash vs Glos, I had read something on the Werkstat site and also exchanged e-mails with them back when I first bought products... here's the section from the FAQ on the quick wash page:

When should I use Quick Wash instead of Glos?

Use Glos whenever you feel the surface needs a bit of a refresher. For some folks, that means every day or two! For others, that means weekly or monthly or after every car wash.

Quick wash, being more economical, is usually preferred for daily to weekly between-wash cleanings. There are no rules, just personal preference.
I park in a condo garage and take a train to work - thus, my car unfortunately doesn't get driven a lot, and also doesn't get a formal wash as often as it probably should. I tend to use Quick Wash when it really could use a real wash, and usually don't find a time when the surface just needs a "refresher." If you wash more regularly, you might find Glos fits into your routine better (e.g., wash and top with Glos between full detailings where you reapply Jett and/or Prime+Jett). Another thing that I'm considering, given that I'm using S100 as a top coat, is to look at the Carnauba Glos as a periodic refreshing.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Yeah, I am also in the same boat. I have a red s and it has a bunch of swirl marks. I want it to look perfect all the time. However, it is my daily driver and it sees the mountains quite a bit and also will be doing track days soon. I just dont know if it is worth the money to get it professionally done and then the next day it be back to where it was.

So Charlie, once you figure out what to do come up to Kennesaw and hook me up.... lol
Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Will do. I'm probably going to order the set of acrylic werkstat products (based on what I've read acrylic has better longevity, carnuba has better gloss) and see how they work. I'll post up the results.