S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

HELP

Old 10-05-2006, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP

alright. here is my dilemma. I have the TS style cf hood from seibon and where i live they use hard water for the sprinklers. so i got really bad water spots on it, I tried everything to get it off, wax, scratch-x, even the vinegar trick didn't work. So I ended up having to go to the auto body shop for my rear bumper and they said to use a rubbing compound on it. so i had them detail the hood. ( I guess this was my first mistake). it looked ok it wasnt perfect but the water spots were not as visible. Now a couple weeks later, It looks as if the hood is oxidizing. It has white splotches all over it, and i am talking big splotches all over it. I dont know if the body shopped f'd it up or what. but i need help!!!!!

thanks
alex
Old 10-05-2006, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pics?

wonder if they "stepped down" to a lower polish after compounding- and also wonder if there was a protectant (wax or synthetic) put on the car...

could be an easy solution of just doing a paint cleaner type product followed by protectant- am guessing that they ate into the clear but didnt finish smoothing it.
might help to see pics... post up several if you can- some close and some whole hood
Old 10-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Former Moderator

Most Cf hoods don't have a clear coat from the factory. They are "gel" coated which is essentially a type of epoxy. There are gel coat compounds and polishes from companies like Meguiars that will work. After polishing you can get them clear coated which will make the Cf keep the shine much better.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=Ubetit,Oct 5 2006, 09:17 AM] Most Cf hoods don't have a clear coat from the factory.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Former Moderator

I'm surprised Seibon clear coats.

Pics would help. If they used plain ol' rubbing compound like they suggested to him who knows what they did. They may have gone though the clear coat in some areas to the gel coat. Those areas would indeed look splotchy becasue the gel coat won't stay clear when being roughed up with compound like clear coat would. It will look scratched and whitish.

I think I'd machine compound and polish with gel coat/marine stuff and then have it re-cleared.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 AM

alright i will get some pics up when i can get my roomates camera. Thanks for the quick responses!
alex
Old 10-05-2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Oct 5 2006, 10:02 AM
I'm surprised Seibon clear coats.

Pics would help. If they used plain ol' rubbing compound like they suggested to him who knows what they did. They may have gone though the clear coat in some areas to the gel coat. Those areas would indeed look splotchy becasue the gel coat won't stay clear when being roughed up with compound like clear coat would. It will look scratched and whitish.

I think I'd machine compound and polish with gel coat/marine stuff and then have it re-cleared.
we are on the same page...
and hoping that the pics show us what we are lookin for!!

Old 10-05-2006, 10:43 AM

I am hoping these work.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:45 AM

sorry about the size
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM

I resized it for you . . .

It looks like the clear/gel coat is gone. Hard to tell even with a picture. Just one man's interpretation. Polish haze usually looks more like fine scratches.

Quick Reply: HELP