S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Headlights peelings?

Old 06-15-2006, 11:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if it's the same thing I have on mine. If it's like mine, I've seen it on a lot of them. It's not a blistering... it really looks sort of like failing clearcoat, but it doesn't polish out. It's also like a different texture in the plastic without being a "coating"... And at least with mine I can only see it if I look closely at the right angle.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this old thread of mine... https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=311052&hl=

I posted some pics in that thread of my headlights... do yours look anything like mine? At the time I was still under warranty, so I took my car to the dealership where one of their technicians proceeded to polish my headlights with rubbing compound and a dirty rag. That did take care of most of the affected areas, but you can imagine the amount of scratches induced from the technician. I talked with the service manager afterwards and he said the most they could do is polish the lenses. I told him no thanks, and that I could do a much better job of that myself. So, I went home and cleaned them up using my PC and they looked good as new. That was 6 months ago and they still look great.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:05 PM

yeah, that's pretty much what I see on mine, but not "flaking" or "peeling" - just a texture... but it's been polished out to be virtually invisible any more.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:35 PM

Usace , that is exactly what i have, just not as much. So you hit it with a PC. what did you use in terms of abrasive : polish, swirl remover, rubbing compound (just kidding on the last one).

Anime, it looks just like failing clear coat, just like USace's pictures.

I am planning on hitting it with the PC, but not sure what product yet to use. I have never used the PC on a polycarbonate lens. Let me know guys, anxious to get home and get this resolved.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:41 PM

If you look at my recent "headlight polishing" thread, you'll see I went pretty aggressive. I used the PC, a 4" SFX1 spot pad, speed 6 and a heavier compound (I think I used Optimum Hyper). It barely puts a dent in it. Just follow up with a lighter polish and then some plastic polish (I used the Meguiar's #10/#17 combo on the PC) or Plexus.

The worst problem you'll run into with going too aggressive isn't as bad as going too aggressive on the paint (where you can thin or cut the clear). The worst you'll end up with using the PC is scratches or hazing that require removal with a lighter product. Folks have done multi-stage sanding of their headlights, ending with polishing steps to perfect it - all without harming the lenses.

Good luck with it.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:17 PM

In that case, I will start with some 3m finesse it polish. If I have to go more aggressive, I will step up to meguiars fine cut cleaner. Then finish it up some swirl mark remover or zaino z5. Wish me luck.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first polished the lenses I was very conservative and used a plastic specific polish (210+) and a sonus blue pad with 5+ runs. I have since gone sonus yellow sfx/menzerna power gloss compound/speed 6 and 2 runs at most gets them exquisite
Old 06-15-2006, 04:48 PM

Well I decided to skip the PC since I only have 6.5 inch pads, got out the 3m stuff and started going at it. While it helped out dramatically, I can see its still there, and the more u polish the more it spreads. Anyone else run into this. I might just have to break out the PC and hit the entire light. I also noticed as others mentioned, the texture is different after the film is gone, more like an orange peel look.

Also, I have been meaning to ask this on here for a while. I have this product from 3m called "rubbing compound progressional formula", its great but cant seem to find it anywhere, anyone know if this has been replaced by something newer with a different name. I think its 3m finesse it , but I am not sure. The part no is 03900.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:43 AM

I actually used my PC with 6.5" pads... I don't own any 4" pads, but they sure would have come in handy. I just taped off the paint around the headlights and tilted the PC to get a good angle on the lights. I ended up using menzerna intensive polish with an orange LC pad (a little more aggressive than a white polishing pad) then menzerna final polish with a white polishing pad. I did a few passes with the IP until the blemishes were pretty much gone. I also have the Meguiars plastic polish and cleaner that I used after the menzerna twins. They came out looking crystal clear.

I agree with the others above that stated you can't really be too aggressive with the lights. If I had had a yellow compounding pad I definitely would have used that vs. the orange pad.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:16 PM

I got it to the point where u cant see it unless u are 2 inches away. For now its good.

Quick Reply: Headlights peelings?