S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

headlight protection?

Old 04-10-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight protection?

I just purchased brand new ap2 headlights, and don't want them to end up looking like my old ap1 lights. (rock chips, scratches, etc.)

What can i do to protect it? After reading all of the stories about stoneguard (i think thats what its called) i am hesitant to use it. Many people experienced cracked headlgihts after use of this product.

What is everyone else using?
Old 04-10-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm using the 3M Scotchcal film (Expel, Stongard, Clearbra, Invisibra, etc.) in a 40 mil thickness (20 mil is adequate). "Stongard" is merely a tradename for the pattern cutting program. They are almost always 3M film. The problem with those instances where the film caused some problems may have been linked to the cleaning agents used to clean the headlights prior to installation of the film. Also, some installers do a "dry install" and stretch the film on. It's much better to not stretch it on and do a "wet install". I've had mine on my headlights for over 5 years and not a single problem. Still crystal clear and no damage to the lights. This is also true with every car I've ever owned. The first thing to go on the car when it gets home from the dealer is the 3M film on the paint and on the headlights.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:01 PM

Do you have to remove the bumper to apply the 3M clear bra? Or do you just apply it on while the headlight's on the car?
-Thanks.

Ahbongkadah=penis? LOL
Old 04-10-2006, 05:48 PM

LOL, its rare someone gets my sn.

xviper, after a search i found that you picked up your stuff from a motorcycle shop? What exactly is involved for a "wet install?"

Also, could you use some sort of static cling material? sort of like the stuff used to tint the plastic rear window, only clear? While its on the headlights i really dont mind if its noticable.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ahbongkadah,Apr 10 2006, 06:48 PM

xviper, after a search i found that you picked up your stuff from a motorcycle shop? What exactly is involved for a "wet install?"

Also, could you use some sort of static cling material? sort of like the stuff used to tint the plastic rear window, only clear? While its on the headlights i really dont mind if its noticable.
I only picked mine up at the bike shop because that's where a 3M dealer was working. Selling 3M was a sideline. I've since bought the stuff from a 3M installer. Most of these places also do window tinting.

I doubt you'll find static cling that isn't tinted. This may not work anyways as the heat generated by the headlights might cause the already soft static cling to get even softer and stretch and droop.

The wet install involves using something like "RapidTac". This is the same as the spray they use to install the film onto painted surfaces. It is very similar to a mix of water, alcohol and dish detergent.
Wash hands well before handling film. Don't get fingerprints onto the sticky side. Wear surgical gloves if you can get some. Or cut the pattern much bigger so you only grab the part that will be cut off.
You cut the film to just a bit bigger than the headlight itself. Liberally spray the headlight (previously cleaned, of course) and the sticky side of the film (backing peeled off). Lay the film over the headlight and begin to squeegie from the center of the headlight outwards to the edges. Mop up the fluid as it comes out. Continue to do this till the main portion of the film starts to stick to the headlight. The outer edges will always be the last to stick as that's where all the fluid ends up. Take a fresh single sided razor or X-acto knife and "score" the outline of the actual headlight all around the edges of the film. You don't have to cut it right through. Once you've completed the score, you can then cut into the score mark from the outside of the film. Hold the main film down onto the headlight and then begin to peel the excess away from the rest of the film. Once the excess is all gone, you can then finish the squeegie-ing and mopping. A hair dryer at this time will aid in quickening the sticking process. Let sit undisturbed overnight and it's good for life.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:50 PM

Thanks xviper I'm going to give the 3m a shot.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by ahbongkadah,Apr 10 2006, 05:48 PM

Ahbongkadah, got some pics of your car up?...BTW, reason why I understood your Username...is because...well, check my flag (avatar).
Old 04-11-2006, 11:21 AM

only now i have ap2 headlights. yeah i saw your avatar. ahaha funny thing is i'm not khmer, but my girlfriend is
Old 04-11-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick's sells the vinyl headlight protectors.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ahbongkadah,Apr 11 2006, 11:21 AM

only now i have ap2 headlights. yeah i saw your avatar. ahaha funny thing is i'm not khmer, but my girlfriend is
Your G/F is Khmer? Oh man, what have you gotten yourself into?
Dunno about you bruhh, but the AP1 headlights are sweet!. IMO the AP2 seems abit busy...I just replaced the clear diffuser last week, I love it even more now.
Well, in anycase..good luck to ya.

Quick Reply: headlight protection?