S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Which is harder to keep looking clean? Black vs White

Old 03-31-2004, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is harder to keep looking clean? Black vs White

Had a somewhat heated discussion about this. I have owned neither color car, none of my friends have owned both colors. I say black, based on what I have heard/seen, and believe to make sense. My friend is sticking to white based on the time he spent detailing cars, but has never owned a black one himself either.

Opinions?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

imo, any car would be the same if its kept in the same condition (my black car always looks freshly detailed- daily driver that parks inside under a car cover and is cleaned with a detailers spray once a week or so)...
a black car will show dirt/ dust/ grime before a white car will.
o.k.- now i am waiting to hear the other side to this!!
Old 03-31-2004, 11:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say Black is going to "show" more, but every car gets just as dirty. White covers things up better from a distance, but up close white cars can look pretty grimy.

The clean freaks in here are going to say the darker colors are the most fun and rewarding when they have a good shine on them.

IMO the light Silvers and Beiges hide the dirt the best - these are the colors for people who don't want to clean too often and don't care too much about that mirror, "wet" shine (of course there are exceptions to everything ).
Old 03-31-2004, 11:18 AM

I have owned both and can honestly say I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER BLACK CAR EVER!

It is too much of a hassle to keep looking new and free of swirl marks. And trust me I am anal retentive and take great care with the highest quality products. Black looks bad after it's first wash and holds less value in resale.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:09 PM

EXCELLENT, just as I suspected....I'm calling him now and gonna make him peak at this from work.

This info backs up everything I thought.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

berlina imo is the most labour intensive
Old 03-31-2004, 04:57 PM

I have a white S2000 and a black TL. Here's what I think:

White shows dirt, but hides dust. Black hides nothing.

As you will find out in your detailing life, all colors are equally easy to take care of. The amount of work you have to do to achieve the best restuls from different colors is the same.

Lighter colors hide swirl marks better, but if you have swirl marks, you should be shot anyway.

The bottom line is, they're all the same if you're anal. But if you're not anal, you're probably better off with silver.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:29 AM

Just to my previous statement that black is not worth it-

Honda paint is crap in general so def don't get a black one.

Plus when my GPW is dirty I pretend it's Championship White which I wish it was!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by PrimoAP1
Honda paint is crap in general so def don't get a black one.
Actually, Honda's paint quality is generally very nice on their higher end cars. Orange peel is well controlled, and gloss is good. The paint may be a little weak, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the paint; it's because of the strict environmental regulations in Japan.

Higher end Toyotas also have good paintjobs.

And Nissan's paint is simply horrible.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:27 PM

Uber-s2k,

Is your friend smoking crack? I've been working at a body shop/detail shop for seven years and I can tell you that black is the WORST color to detail, hands down. It takes twice as long to detail a black car than a white car. Trying to get all the swirl marks out is a b!*ch, whereas a white car, you simply apply and remove. When you look at a black car fully polished, it is suppose to look like a mirror. There is absolutely no way a white car will ever have the mirror finish that a black car has. On the other hand, white cars do show more industrial fall out (small dots that look like rust), and require clay bars every so oftento remove them. But claying the car is no comparison to polishing a black car.

Quick Reply: Which is harder to keep looking clean? Black vs White