S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Had to ask (washing ?)

Old 04-18-2002, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had to ask (washing ?)

Sorry all, I know how aggravating it is when someone asks a dumb question like this but I could not find a definite consensus when I did a search. What type of cloth/mitt do you personally use to wash with?
Old 04-18-2002, 12:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A genuine fleece mit is my choice. This allows dirt and grit to migrate up into the fleece material as opposed to staying near the surface where it can be dragged all over the car and scratch.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:36 PM

In my area, Costco sells these -- three for $6. The only downside with them is, one side has nylon netting (which I don't allow to come in contact with the car).
Old 04-18-2002, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by blackonreds2k
[B]Sorry all, I know how aggravating it is when someone asks a dumb question like this but I could not find a definite consensus when I did a search.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:57 PM

boiler:

Thanks for such a detailed description. I'm sure that will help out many newbies
Old 04-19-2002, 08:50 AM

i have also been using boilers method for about a year now -

love my sheepskin mitt (not that way)

man made does a good job on those ugly areas - tires etc . .

taking care is worth it - *sigh* i have black also
Old 04-19-2002, 09:56 AM

Although the make-up of the mitt can be important to many, I simply choose what is available and of decent quality from Walmart or Meijer and then practice **Mitt Separation**.

What is the practice of Mitt Separation? (besides some bs term i just thought of)

When practicing mitt separation, I do the following:
**Use two Buckets, 2-3 Top/New Mitts in one bucket and 5-6 Bottom Mitts in the other. Also, use a car wash specific detergent (none of that dish washing / wax stripping crap).

1) The 2-3 'top' mitts are use on the areas above the car's belt line (half way point between the car roof and car sill at the bottom).
2) The 5-6 'retired top' (aka 'bottom' mits) are for each of the wheels/wheel wells and for the lower panels below the car's belt line.
3) I use a power nozzle to rinse each of the mitts after each use and then shake it out in the bucket. This works all the top/loose debris from the mitt and keeps the bucket water cleaner.

I have found that this approach works well for me, but I am sure there are other approaches that do just as well or perhaps better.

BTW, the money saved on mitts can be put toward a better wax. I prefer 3M Paste wax (the cheap $10 wax, but good) and Zymol Concours Glaze (the best period, $120/can) for those virgin surfaces and special occasions.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:05 AM

Hey Boiler...how's that filter working on your air compressor?does it trap most of the water?
Old 04-19-2002, 02:01 PM

I like the imfamous "Viking 100% Cotton Chenille Wash Mitt". It is available at Checkers, Kragen, etc.

Viking also makes a mitt has poyester in it - to be avoided. Look for the 100% Cotton Logo on the lower left of the lable.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Flyin Wedge
Hey Boiler...how's that filter working on your air compressor?does it trap most of the water?
I'm happy to report that the filter is working very well. It doesn't get all of the water vapor, but it get's most of it. It has been so humid with all of the rain lately. The filter is working better than I thought that it would. Well worth the $18 dollars for the filter and 3" piece of threaded pipe.

I'm anxious to try my new portable air tank. A friend gave me the fittings that I needed to turn my propane tank into a portable compressed air tank. It even has a gauge on it.

Quick Reply: Had to ask (washing ?)