S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Gum on leather seat...

Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gum on leather seat...

After coming back home late from entering the S into a car show I noticed when I got out of my car that I've been sitting on chewing gum.

I had the top down at the show and some schmuck must have spat gum on my seat when they were giving out awards. Any suggestions on how to remove the gum? Theres about 3/4" of gum stuck on seat
Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 AM

in the perforated part?

if not, ice on the gum til it hardens, then pick it off...

if in the perfs, the ice can melt and get water inside, so i wouldnt go there.

but first we need to know where

---
btw, sorry that this happened- hard to believe that people can be so stupid - why would anyone spit gum into a car in a show?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

warm it up and use peanut butter.....trust me on this one.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Jan 14 2008, 11:01 AM
in the perforated part?

if not, ice on the gum til it hardens, then pick it off...

if in the perfs, the ice can melt and get water inside, so i wouldnt go there.

but first we need to know where

---
btw, sorry that this happened- hard to believe that people can be so stupid - why would anyone spit gum into a car in a show?
It's on the crease of the bottom seat, including the perforated part.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by tukluc,Jan 14 2008, 11:40 AM
warm it up and use peanut butter.....trust me on this one.
Can you explain a bit more on this procedure?
Old 01-14-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want the gum to be somewhat soft and pliant and then you just rub peanut butter on it...the oil from the peanut butter pulls the gum out. Pretty straightforward actually...then just clean the leather with a cleaner to get the peanut butter off.

If you are worried, I would suggest you use the peanut butter in a hidden area of the seat and then see how easily it comes off and am pretty confident that it will not leave any stains but for peace of mind...worth a try.

Let me know how it turns out.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:15 PM

the problem is the perfs... dont want more stuff in there-

we can get our leather expert in on this if needed. will pm him- might take awhile for him to respond, so give him a chance
Old 01-15-2008, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While you are at it with the peanut butter, pull out a little wheat bread and a little grape jelly, make sure it is grape jelly because that is the only kind I like...make a sandwich and do this... j/k to tukluc, no harm intended

To get gum off your seat you need to heat it, basically the opposite of what you do when you get gum on fabric (freeze it). If you can get get it hot enough, which honestly doesn't take much using a hair dryer on high or a heat gun on a low-medium setting it will melt and you can wipe it off with a rag, just careful not to spread it as you take it off. Repeat this until almost all of it is gone and then clean it with cleaner and if that doesn't work, use the conditioner/protector and that should remove all the rest of the residue. As for the perforations, it may get in there, just take a small pin and clear them out when you are all done, not much will be left in them and it should be pretty easy.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by 2002S2K,Jan 15 2008, 05:31 AM
While you are at it with the peanut butter, pull out a little wheat bread and a little grape jelly, make sure it is grape jelly because that is the only kind I like...make a sandwich and do this... j/k to tukluc, no harm intended

To get gum off your seat you need to heat it, basically the opposite of what you do when you get gum on fabric (freeze it). If you can get get it hot enough, which honestly doesn't take much using a hair dryer on high or a heat gun on a low-medium setting it will melt and you can wipe it off with a rag, just careful not to spread it as you take it off. Repeat this until almost all of it is gone and then clean it with cleaner and if that doesn't work, use the conditioner/protector and that should remove all the rest of the residue. As for the perforations, it may get in there, just take a small pin and clear them out when you are all done, not much will be left in them and it should be pretty easy.
thx 2002s2k!!

our leather expert has spoken !!
Old 01-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Might I also suggest laying a folded paper towel over the gum and then using an iron on low so you can put a little pressure on it WHILE heating it.

On low heat, with the paper towel between it and the leather, it should insulate it enough not to harm the leather, and the gum will start to stick to the paper towel.

Quick Reply: Gum on leather seat...