S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Got my UDM! Cement mixer noises normal?

Old 10-15-2007, 03:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Got my UDM! Cement mixer noises normal?

Hey there everyone, I finally got my shipment from autogeek. I read the users manual and finally plugged the UDM in. I put the white pad on it just to see how it felt like. It works fine at all speeds and spins like crazy at speed 6! I just have one question, is it supposed to sound like a cement mixer/vortech'd skl at startup?? The sound is present at all speeds but becomes less audible as speeds increase. Any help/opinions would be appreciated! thanks you guys

Part 1-with white pad
YouTube - UDM

Part 2-no pad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snyi87Yugr8

excuse the packaging mess in the background that clicking noise you hear in the end is me adjusting the speed
Old 10-15-2007, 04:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. you win the creativity award... perfect to post it up as a youtube!!

2. unfortunately, the sound did not tell me that there is a problem- didnt sound great, but an not sure with the sound quality that i got...

what area are you in? maybe we can find someone in your area who could "listen live"- if not, you could post the question up in your local forum

it is possible that someone else will be able to get better sound than i did and will be able to diagnose this... i am not trying to taint your answer!
Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

thanks wanabe, Ill try and take another vid with the UDM further away from the camera, it seems like im getting wind turbulence. Im located in San Diego,CA if that matters. thanks

Edit
I added another vid, see part 2 in the original post

I also searched this video, its a PC7424 and it sounds pretty similar??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89323lmQ2LI

some people say that the noise goes away once there is a load placed on it. Supposedly it has to do with the bearings and rotation and no load.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a brand new Porter Cable and it makes the same noise with a dry pad on it, not polishing anything. Detail to come this Saturday so I'll see if it does the same thing.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just received my brand new PC and it seems to make the same noise... whether under load or not.

It sounds as though there is something loose inside the polisher, like a bearing.

I was surprised. Is this normal? Sorry for the vague description, but I've used other orbital polishers (not random) and they are a smooth spinning sound... this one sounds very rough
Old 01-15-2008, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by ss04,Jan 14 2008, 10:38 PM
I just received my brand new PC and it seems to make the same noise... whether under load or not.

It sounds as though there is something loose inside the polisher, like a bearing.

I was surprised. Is this normal? Sorry for the vague description, but I've used other orbital polishers (not random) and they are a smooth spinning sound... this one sounds very rough
The only kind of orbital is a random orbital. Do you have the side handle screwed on? Without the handle screwed on the black plastic shroud on the head will rattle. If you don't like the handle (many don't) and you don't want the rattle, go to a hardward store and buy a bolt in the same thread size as the handle and screw it into the machine where the handle would go.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:36 AM

Sorry I meant other Rotary's not Orbitals

And yes I have the handle screwed in... I've googled the PC 7424 and others have found it to make this metal 'tank' sound as well... I guess it's normal
Old 01-15-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ss04,Jan 15 2008, 10:36 AM
Sorry I meant other Rotary's not Orbitals

And yes I have the handle screwed in... I've googled the PC 7424 and others have found it to make this metal 'tank' sound as well... I guess it's normal
Yup. It's not what I would call a smooth machine. The only rattle that happens normally and is correctable is the one I was describing.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Former Moderator

The bearings have no load on them. I don't even thing the machine is supposed to be operated that way.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Jan 15 2008, 10:45 AM
The bearings have no load on them. I don't even thing the machine is supposed to be operated that way.
No it's not supposed to be operated with no load on it... says it right in the manual

However when I first fired it up to polish, it was making the tank sound so I pulled it off the car right away, still made the sound but only more noticeable without load on it

I will consider it normal and crank the tunes up

Quick Reply: Got my UDM! Cement mixer noises normal?