S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Got The Clay Bar How Hard Should I Be Rubbing It?

Old 12-07-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got The Clay Bar How Hard Should I Be Rubbing It?

SO I purchased from P&S a box of clay bar for friggin $30!!! I was told to shape it flat to the palm of my hand. then while the car's wet just rub it back and forth. I tried it gently and came away picking up some soot and brown grime. My question is how hard do you folks clay? Rubbing it on the surface like you do with an eraser to paper OR gently letting it glide back and forth till the surface smooths???
Old 12-07-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gently let it glide for lubricant, i usually use carsoap i used to wash the car
Old 12-07-2008, 06:29 PM

as you went over you probably felt the bumps which would be the dirt and grime buildup. When i clay bar, i usually go over til i no longer feel the bumps, then go over a couple more passes just to make sure. I'm no detailing expert or anything, but that's how i was taught.

another thing i use instead of water is actually those spray on detailers. some clay bar kits come with it.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:30 PM

moderate pressure. not too hard, not too soft, but just right.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by g352s2k,Dec 7 2008, 07:30 PM
moderate pressure. not too hard, not too soft, but just right.
Moderate pressure is fine and make sure to use plenty of lubricant. A good detailer or car soap will do the job. Keep in mind that you do not have to use the whole bar. Take a small piece off and use it until it becomes contaminated then start with a new piece.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tear the clay into a few pieces first- then i use very little pressure... plenty of soap or detailers spray and just rub (front to back) - the clay should do the "heavy lifting". it will pick out the embedded particles. just keep rubbing until the clay slips easily. be sure not to let the paint get dry.
btw, if you use foam for washing, its great for clay too... you have to refoam several times and rinse as you finish an area. i rewash the car after claying.
finally, remember that clay removes your waxes/ synthetic protection.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:28 PM

Make sure you have plenty of lubrication 100% of the time. The water left on your car after you finished washing/rinsing will not be enough. Pick up some meguiars quick ultimate detailer at walmart and use that while the car is still wet. There are some better products but that is the best OTC. Of course car soap is always an option if you have enough to spare.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,Dec 7 2008, 11:28 PM
Make sure you have plenty of lubrication 100% of the time. The water left on your car after you finished washing/rinsing will not be enough. Pick up some meguiars quick ultimate detailer at walmart and use that while the car is still wet. There are some better products but that is the best OTC. Of course car soap is always an option if you have enough to spare.
Meg's Ultimate Quick Detailer is not intended to be used as a clay lubricant. Just use their basic Quick Detailer--it's also less expensive than UQD.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 AM

megs UQD also has some carnauba content in it, so it's not the best prep either
Old 12-08-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by dezymond,Dec 7 2008, 07:29 PM
as you went over you probably felt the bumps which would be the dirt and grime buildup. When i clay bar, i usually go over til i no longer feel the bumps, then go over a couple more passes just to make sure. I'm no detailing expert or anything, but that's how i was taught.
That's a pretty good way of describing it. When I clay a car in the garage, where it's quiet, I can actually hear the clay doing its job on a car that's really bad. Once the clay glides over the car in silence, I move on.

For lube, I've started using ONR mixed to whatever ratio it says on the bottle to use as a clay bar lube. Inexpensive and effective.

Quick Reply: Got The Clay Bar How Hard Should I Be Rubbing It?