S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

A good set of products to restore black paint

Old 06-20-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good set of products to restore black paint

I brought my S2000 home today and it is in pretty good shape, but the black could use a boost. ANy suggestions on a good product (or set of products) to restore shine (of blacks in particular).
Old 06-20-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it really depends on the condition...
you say its in pretty good shape, but you want to restore shine. kinda contradictory to a detailer!
i will take this to mean that its in good shape and you want it to be perfect.
if i am on the right track, i would wash, dry, clay, and glaze (also called swirl remove/fill)- and actually what i would really do is inspect to determine what to do. i have assumed that after feeling the paint i have decided that i feel some roughness, and that i can see some haze or light swirls.

if the paint is in good shape, but has light swirls, i like 3m swirl remover (also called glaze). you could use something a bit more aggressive (more swirl remover), but imo the additional clear removal would not be worthwhile. if, on the other hand, the swirls are bad and the paint has scratches, then a more aggressive polish would be in order.

my fav glaze is from 3m and their ad even has one of our cars in it!!

http://properautocare.com/3mperswirmar.html
Old 06-20-2006, 08:44 PM

The paint has a few scratches. any particular polish you'd suggest?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:51 PM

I dont own an S2000, but believe me I understand the paints of owning a black car. I dont know about Berlina Black, but I know my Onyx Black IS300 is just a 2 stage paint.

Usually about every 6 months, this is my procedure:

Good wash, about 2 times over with Meguires gold shampoo.

Let it dry, IN THE SHADE.

Mothers clay bar kit. Clay it over real good. Especially the front bumper and the hood.

Wash it over twice more, with Meguires.

Dry it with chamoise cloth.

Meguire's scratch-X the ENTIRE car. This is the most grueling step.
You're really working your fingers here b/c ur rubbing into the paint, and removing excess crap on it. I try to not do it in circles(swirl marks).

Give it a good wax with my orbital buffer, Mothers Carnauba. Use te buffer to apply and work into the paintsnow completely spotless and smooth shiny surface. Hand buff off.

And enjoy it for as longas u can... B/C black paint really needs love.

Have fun!

By the way this usually takes me from about 2pm-8pm. Its almost a 6 hour job. I usually start first by steam cleaning my interior first though so it will be dry by the time Im done with the exterior.

Good luck,
-Aaron
Old 06-20-2006, 08:56 PM

You love your cars like I do. Black looks great when its clean which makes all the love worth it. I just wish I had a shady spot to work in.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:25 AM

I don't have a shady spot either... look at the poorboys line of products... I've tried ssr2.5 and it definately works in the sun.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i would add a fine cut compound for the scratches- several out there... i just used the 3m recently. http://www.properautocare.com/3mperfincutc.html

in any case, i also would use a porter cable for this process. you can polish by hand, but as onyxaltezza indicated your hand and arm will get really sore if you are doing it right. if you dont have the machine, post up in your local forum for someone who does- you supply products and refreshments and they supply the machine and know how. win/win and you learn how to do one of the most complicated detail processes for free!

for the fine cut, you really only need to do the areas that have scratches- no need to do the whole car (and i would not- fine cut will eat a tiny tiny amount of clear, and why eat any if you dont need to).
the 3m swirl remover/glaze eats about the least of your clear of any product that i know. use it after the fine cut to bring back the pop in your paint.
the last stage products (wax or synthetics) will protect and bring the final shine out of the paint.

if you would like some reading- this is pretty thorough:

http://autopia-carcare.com/inf-polishing.html
Old 06-25-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Jun 22 2006, 07:36 AM
i would add a fine cut compound for the scratches- several out there... i just used the 3m recently. http://www.properautocare.com/3mperfincutc.html

in any case, i also would use a porter cable for this process. you can polish by hand, but as onyxaltezza indicated your hand and arm will get really sore if you are doing it right. if you dont have the machine, post up in your local forum for someone who does- you supply products and refreshments and they supply the machine and know how. win/win and you learn how to do one of the most complicated detail processes for free!

for the fine cut, you really only need to do the areas that have scratches- no need to do the whole car (and i would not- fine cut will eat a tiny tiny amount of clear, and why eat any if you dont need to).
the 3m swirl remover/glaze eats about the least of your clear of any product that i know. use it after the fine cut to bring back the pop in your paint.
the last stage products (wax or synthetics) will protect and bring the final shine out of the paint.

if you would like some reading- this is pretty thorough:

http://autopia-carcare.com/inf-polishing.html
Porter cable is a definite help. But to 95% of the people who think theyre going out to buy one and use it, they will end up damaging their paint the first time.

I believe the porter cable is a very high powered ROTARY buffer, not an ORBITAL like the ones u buy at walmart. Rotary spins in place at high speeds, while Orbitals imitate the actions your hand would do, rubbing the compound in.

A rotary if misused can burn into your clear & paint, doing more damage than good. Its definitely an aid IF and ONLY if you know how to use it the right way.

-Aaron
Old 06-25-2006, 08:30 PM

The porter cable I picked up at loews is definately not a rotary... model 7336sp. It oscillates not rotates, and frankly it would be pretty hard to do damage to your paint unless you use the sanding pad that comes with it instead of a proper foam pad.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:14 PM

Does it have to be a porter cable? I have a royobi (sp) orbital buffer.

Quick Reply: A good set of products to restore black paint