S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Good place for S2000 car wash in Chicago?

Old 02-12-2001, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

Where is the best place for S2000 car wash in Chicago (312 or 630)? I have been looking for hand car wash but no luck. A lot of places claimed they offer hand car wash but really it is machine wash and hand dry.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2001, 10:00 AM
Banned

I'm not sure about car washes - I wash mine by hand.

I see this was your first post - are you on the Midwest mailing list? Have you registered at https://www.s2ki.com? Do you know about S2KDays?
Old 02-15-2001, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Super, I'm with you in searching for a decent car wash. This is going to be my daily driver, and lets face it there's no way I am hand washing a car in Chicago often enough year round for it to be practical. I would rather subject the car to "evil" mechanical washes if need be than to leave it filty and salt-ridden year round. So I would love to know of a decent car wash for us here too.

The only good option I know of right now is the chain of Turtle Wax car washes. They are very nice, soft cloth washes and the cool thing is that they have a yearly plan, something like $250-$350 per year for unlimited washes. I am going to visit them and get their opinions about convertibles and such. The conclusion I may come to is to hand wash the car until the weather gets cold, put on the hard top and then go for the automated wash.

Anyway, I'd love to hear if anybody has found a decent solution to this problem, as the notion of hand-wash only is not a viable option for me.

Clark
Old 02-16-2001, 03:37 PM

I took my car through the turtle wax car wash just because I had so much salt on it. I'm not sure whether it ruined the car or not, but I'd like to know. The only bad thing that happened was that at the end of the machine wash, they drive your car to a spot and hand dry it, but the guy didn't know how to start my car, so I had to go and show him after. Any other input on Turtle wax washes would be appreciated!
Old 02-19-2001, 11:05 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I've seen non-S2K roadsters at the Turtle Wax on Gary Ave. in Carol Stream (across the Stratford Sq. mall). I asked the washing attendent how they washed the Z3 through the mechanical wash, his reply was that Turlte Wax doesn't allow them to run those type of cars through the wash. They get the specialty 30 minute hand wash in the garage bay.

If you're in or near Schaumburg, there's real good place up Wise Rd. I forgot the name but it is just west of Roselle Rd. and east of Salem Dr., there's a NAPA in the same shopping center. I've gotten my other cars washed there, and they did a FANTASTIC job, just kinda pricey for my blood.

It's not that I can't afford it, but I can't fathom spending any kind of money on having someone else wash my beloved posessions with the same quality of care that I would give it.

I've always thought about starting up a weekend detailing service out of my garage when I was younger, maybe this would be a great venue to get something started, eh?
Old 02-19-2001, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmmm, now I'm confused. I stopped into the Turtle Wax in Arlington Hts on New Wilke, and the manager said that they get convertibles in there all the time and have never had any complaints. I really didn't take this answer as proof positive (he offered me no explanations as to special care, mild detergents, "you're soaking in it right now", whatever), I did at least come away with the impression that it was not forboden or known to be an issue. Now I wonder.

Thanks for the info Luder, I've now got more investigation to do.

Clark
Old 02-20-2001, 08:27 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Clark,

I'm also in Schaumburg, so if you find out a good hand washing service, let me know of one. I think the name of the one I was talking about on Wise Rd. is called Royal Wash.

You didn't happen to buy your car at Schaumburg HOnda did you? IF you did, they offer S2K owners a complimentary wash service when they aren't busy. I got it done there a couple of times when I was in a rush. They did a terrific job once, and the other not so terrific.

After that though, it's been straight hand washes by me, each and every time.
Old 03-03-2001, 02:16 PM

Hey There!
Most locations that you guys listed are not in Chicago. I live in Chicago and clean my baby at a hand car wash place on Lawrence and Cicero, right off of 94. I forgot the freaking names. Hand wash/wax is around 10-20 bucks. They also do waxing/details/engine cleaning ect... Satisfaction is OK, there drying job is not that great. From the west burbs...if taking 90, exit lawrence and make a left. for 94 east...exit Foster...left on cicero...and left on lawrence...
NICK
happy washing