S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Going Shopping

Old 02-16-2007, 04:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Going Shopping

Hey detailing affeccionados! The weather is predicted to get better in the coming weeks, and I can't wait to do my first W&W with quality products. I'm building/buying an entire arsenal from the ground up, including towels and applicators. This is what I've bought so far; let me know if I've forgotten anything.

Wash:
Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towels (x2)
303 Cleaner & Protectant
Rubber-encased Hose End
Polish:
Menzerna IP & FP
Novus II Plastic Polish
Wax:
Microfiber Applicator Pads
Cobra Deluxe Jr. Microfiber Towels (x12)
Klasse AIO
P21S
Griot's Speed Shine
Old 02-16-2007, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

leather-
townsends cleaner and also their preservative

for a carnuba based detail spray, i like griots speed shine (one of the only griots product that i continue to buy)...

add to your list a wheel brush, and a good hose end (i use one that is all rubber so it can not damage my car if i drop it or bump the car)

i also like to have a creeper and a high powered vacuum.

when you get ready to polish we have plenty of things to add!!

also check out our sticky at the top of the board that deals with this question-
Old 02-16-2007, 08:50 AM

thanks wanabe. I was looking forward to your feedback.

you read my mind about the townsend products, I was just listing exterior care items in this thread.

As far as the Griot's detailer, is that a carnauba-based detailer? If so, they didn't mention it on their website. I was originally looking at one of the Sonus detailers, either the carnauba spritz or detailing spritz. However the Griot's is a lot cheaper. I was using the Meguiar's Spray 'n Wipe before but I am now looking to something to extend the life of my future layers of P21S. Of course, if Griot's is good enough for you I'm sure it's not a bad product.

I have a wheel brush/sponge although I've never used it. The rubber hose end is a great idea, where did you get yours? I prefer one with a trigger that I can turn on and off. Don't want to make a mud pile while washing.

The creeper is another great idea. I have a leaf blower/vacuum that I bought specifically for the car, but I don't use it because it's loud and doesn't cover enough surface area to be efficient. Does a great job on wheels and door jambs though!

For polishing, I already have the PC and SFX pads. One of the Cobra towels i'm buying will be solely for removing polish. I still have some SFX 2/3 left but I've been hearing so much praise for Menzerna I just gotta try 'em.

The first thing I did was read the sticky and that's where I got many of my ideas. I had never heard of Cobra or Novus before I read it! Keep the suggestions coming, I plan to order soon and I want to do it all at once.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure how i know its carnuba based, but that is what i recall...
have used it for years as my carnuba-go-to detailing spray-

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?SKUupsell=11146

it does work nicely in the sandwiching process (synthetic covered by p21s, then the speed shine on top)

---------
more info, but no conclusions:

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/188...-questions.html
Old 02-16-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO you need more mf towels. I would get 12. I think that's a good number to have on hand for a full detail because likely you'll need 2-3 towels per step (compounding, polishing, waxing, QD'ing). It includes probably a couple more towels than you may actually need, but it's good to have a couple extra in case you drop one on the ground.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Feb 16 2007, 10:41 AM
IMO you need more mf towels. I would get 12. I think that's a good number to have on hand for a full detail because likely you'll need 2-3 towels per step (compounding, polishing, waxing, QD'ing). It includes probably a couple more towels than you may actually need, but it's good to have a couple extra in case you drop one on the ground.
You can never have too many towels... it's always the one thing I seem to run out of when I need it the most!
Old 02-16-2007, 06:03 PM

How do you know when a towel has been used to capacity?

Are there any objections to the Sonus Der Wunder applicators? How many of these will I need for the waxes? Also, I'm trying Novus because Plexus no longer seems to be working for me. Is Novus #2, in fact, a stronger product?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Feb 16 2007, 10:41 AM
12 is a solid #... ended up using about that many today.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by s2krazy01,Feb 16 2007, 10:03 PM
How do you know when a towel has been used to capacity?
You can just tell. It doesn't work as well is really the only way I can put it.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Feb 17 2007, 01:23 PM
You can just tell. It doesn't work as well is really the only way I can put it.
I guess I should've thought that one through. So it should take about 3 towels to cover the S (per step). Good to know. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Going Shopping