S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Gilmour Foam Gun

Old 07-17-2006, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gilmour Foam Gun

How many of you would be interested in having these made up with the "Honda S2000" logos on them. Cost would be equivalent to other sites at $59.95.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Could you offer just the container part for those that already own a Gilmour foam gun?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anime:

What are the benefits of a "foam gun" over and above an ordinary Ortho garden sprayer. I've been using one of these for years to apply my car wash soap, and have always felt the combination of soapy water and foam were OK. But, I'm always ready to learn new methods.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 07-17-2006, 10:15 PM

Basically it is similar to what you've been using.
It's adjustable - the ratio of soap/water mix and although I haven't used the garden sprayer, I'd say it probably outperforms the sprayer in terms of putting down serious foam that sticks to the car and acts pretty much like the "soap/soak" cycle at a touchless car wash, removing loose grime and letting the soap do its thing before you touch the car with a wash mitt.

I've washed some relatively dirty cars with this method: 1) rinse with nozzle-pressure water 2) soap up with foam gun 3) wash with 2-bucket method and I've come out with pretty amazingly clean rinse water (2nd bucket, clear water for rinsing mitt). That tells me that the foam from the foam gun really does do some cleaning.

I always use a foam gun anymore.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:48 PM

My wash method may be a bit radical. I have a pressure washer with an adjustment to dial down the pressure so it won't strip paint. Then I set it on a nice fan spray. Then, with the nozle at an accute angle to the painted surface, I "blow off" all the loose dirt and dust. Then, I attach and use the garden sprayer to the hose to apply the soap. Then, I brush the car down with a boar's hair brush, keeping it clean with periodic "blasts" with the pressure washer. Then, I rinse with the pressure washer with dialed down pressure and fan spray. Then, I use a leaf bower to blow off all the water I can (which is usually a lot, as I keep the cars waxed so the water beads). Then I use a synthetic chamois to dry the car, followed by a microfiber towel with detailing spray. If needed , I clean the windows with Invisable glass, a plastic scrubber to get off the bug remains, and a MF rag. But often, only a MF wipe down is needed. I use PS21 and a smaller boar's hair brush on the wheels, tires, and wheel wells as needed. I can wash the Mercedes sedan well in 30 minutes, and the s2k in 20 minutes. Every few times, I use a foam brush sprayed with 303 to treat the tire sidewalls. The boar's hair brushes are very soft and gentle, and do not cause scratches or swirils. While all this may sound radical, it's quick, and it works.

Given this method, do you think a foam gun would help?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 07-18-2006, 04:17 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by XLevel,Jul 17 2006, 10:08 AM
How many of you would be interested in having these made up with the "Honda S2000" logos on them. Cost would be equivalent to other sites at $59.95.
I'd prefer the original with a discounted group buy price.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by dolebludger,Jul 18 2006, 03:48 AM
Given this method, do you think a foam gun would help?
Sounds like a very sound wash method. I personally haven't ever used a BHB, but I know they're good if used properly (and it sounds like you're using it properly).

The foam gun may help even in your situation, as it helps to remove dirt and grime before you even touch the car with the brush. I know one of the guys at Autopia has an "extreme wash technique" that involves shooting the foam gun into the brush AS he moves it over the paint surface to instantly carry away dirt and keep the brush lubed.

The only thing I'd change with your method would be the synthetic chamois - I've never been fond of those and considering their lack of "nap", any dirt remaining on the surface can get pushed along, causing scratches. I guess I'd consider that an "only a matter of time" situation, but it's up to you.

I prefer to sheet the water off with a fireman's nozzle set to the slowest/smoothest setting and follow up with a WW MF towel. If I had an electric blower, I'd use that between the sheeting and MF... You can see what I'm talking about in this video (towards the end), along with use of the foam gun.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Ortho Sprayer also and there is no comparison.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:16 AM

I take it that means you prefer the foam gun?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:22 AM

I don't mean to hijack this topic, but I understand the controversy about artificial (or real) chamois --- scratching and all. My problem is that my large MF just does not get the car dry. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Richard

Quick Reply: Gilmour Foam Gun