S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Getting specs of old wax off car

Old 09-17-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting specs of old wax off car

Hi. Especially when the sun hits my car at the strongest angle, I can see specs of old wax that I did not get off my car. What's the best way to get this old wax off? I'm tempted to just get out a clean microfiber towel and rub the old wax off. Is this okay? Should I only do this after a complete wash and dry?
Old 09-17-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

several choices-
alcohol is a good choice...
and would be my first try-

wash, alcohol rub it and then wash again.
after you need to rewax the car.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:17 PM

Washing with Dawn will strip all of the wax off. Then you can apply anything that you desire....new wax, Zaino, etc.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by wanabe,Sep 17 2006, 05:57 PM
several choices-
alcohol is a good choice...
and would be my first try-

wash, alcohol rub it and then wash again.
after you need to rewax the car.
Thanks. When you recommend alcohol, do you mean 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol?
Old 09-17-2006, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try dish washing soap before you use alcohol.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:07 PM

always a good time to clay your whole car if your in the mood to detail.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:36 PM

The methods recommended so far will remove all the wax you have on those areas not just the specks. So, let me throw out an alternative suggestion which will not strip off all the wax.

First let me say "dry buffing" your car even with a microfiber towel is a major no-no. You'll definitely marr the paint if you rub hard enough. However, if you can lubricate the surface with some Quick Detailer Spray then that will reduce the chances of marring the paint. I would try that first before proceeding to using alcohol, clay, or any of the other suggestions.

Also as I always do when people suggest washing your car with Dawn, I want to say IMO that's a no-no too. There are many, many reasons why using Dawn to wash your car is a bad idea and even the makers of Dawn say not to use it to wash your car. Anyway, check out this thread on Autopia for the most recent Dawn debate . . .

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77706
Old 09-18-2006, 12:49 AM

Thanks for the tips and alternative suggestions, MikeyC.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:12 AM

Just to set things straight... I've never used dawn on my car but...

"There are many, many reasons why using Dawn to wash your car is a bad idea and even the makers of Dawn say not to use it to wash your car."

Just because a maker says not to use the product on something doesn't mean it can't be used... Think about it from the maker's point of view... do they really want to come out and say a product they specifically designed/tested for dishwashing use is good on a car, when they have not done any proper testing ($$$).

Of course they definately don't want to say use dawn for regular washing because it does in fact remove all oils and such from the surface, but in the case of extreme detailing where the car is so dirty that regular car wash soap won't clean well, then I don't see why using dawn in that case is a problem.

I would never ever use dawn on my s2000, but if a friend came over with a beat up camry or something.... and that thing was diry as can be and one wash using car soap didn't do the trick.... you bet your rear I'll whip out some dawn =p

But in the case of white specs of wax... If a regular wash with proper car soap does not do the trick, I'd do exactly as mikey suggested... QD with some microfiber. Just make sure the surface is free of dirt (don't do this without washing the car first if it has been driven or has dust on it).
Old 09-19-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by blurnj13,Sep 19 2006, 12:12 PM
Just because a maker says not to use the product on something doesn't mean it can't be used... Think about it from the maker's point of view... do they really want to come out and say a product they specifically designed/tested for dishwashing use is good on a car, when they have not done any proper testing ($$$).

Of course they definately don't want to say use dawn for regular washing because it does in fact remove all oils and such from the surface, but in the case of extreme detailing where the car is so dirty that regular car wash soap won't clean well, then I don't see why using dawn in that case is a problem.
I think everyone can certainly agree that Dawn is not to be used for regular washing. So we all agree on that.

The reason I bring up that Dawn says not to use their product to wash your car is that this is unusual. Most companies love the fact that a product has alternative uses. Simply put alternative uses sell more product. So then if Dawn has come out and said don't use our product to wash your car it's because they know it damages your car and they don't want some yahoo suing them over it.

Quick Reply: Getting specs of old wax off car