S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Getting a deep gloss back after polishing

Old 01-03-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by estukaye,Sep 21 2005, 11:58 PM
I polish in sectons, and do it to the point where it starts to powder. I think I have my technique down. Speed on PC is 5 or 6, no pressure, pads correspond to the abbrasive. With SSR1 I'll probably use a finishing pad or one step up.

Its weird, it has a deep gloss at angles, but reflections such as car headlights or a bright flashlight make it look dull. Can you guys check yours too? Do you get a sharp glossy clean reflection or is it just glossy with hazy reflection?
technique sounds good...
you should have a metal mirror when finished- should not look dull, and especially in the sun.
under florescent lights it will not look quite the same- but you should not see any scratches or swirls.
you might need a fine cut compound if the paint is dull or cloudy. a fine cut is followed by a swirl remover- and dont work the fine cut as hard as you work a swirl remover (the fine cut is more aggressive at removing your clear coat than the swirl remover is).
Old 01-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petraidm,Jan 2 2006, 10:48 PM
Interesting ... I had either a similar or the same problem this weekend using ZPC on my son's black Accord.

First of all I am back to using Zaino products. No, they are not the easiest in the world to use but the durability / look is great especially now with Z8. Now back to my problem. ...

First I washed/clayed to remove all other products. Then I deswirled using Meguiars #83 and a propel yellow pad. I then switched to ZPC and the green pad. Since I this was my first experience with ZPC, I worked it much like I would Meguiars 80 or Menzurna FP Starting slow at 3 to 4 to spread then upping the speed to 6 with moderate pressure until the product started to clear. I then wiped (or tried to wipe off) the residue with a MF towel. Instead of being clear and wonderful, there were definately dull areas that look awful. The bottle said be prepared to be amazed and well I guess I was. I could not get rid of the haze using z6 but I could remove it with more ZPC. After playing with it for a while I came up with the following:

The following assumes the pad is already primed with ZPC To prime the pad the first time place a stream around the pad about 1/8" thick and work a section of the car to get the pad primed.
1) Place a drop about the size of a dime to a nickel in the center of the pad
2) Work this into a pannel size egual to about 1/4 the hood at a speed no greater than four.
3) Make 2-3 passes over this section applying light pressure.
4) Remove Product with an MF

THe black looked deep and wet usng this procedure with no more haze. Given this "hazing" problem, I don't think I'll be using ZPC for anything other than a surface cleaner / prep prior to z2-pro application. For swirl / spider web removal, I'll stick with my tried and true products.

One quick question ... how do the Optimum polishes compare to Meguiars 83 / 80 combo? I was not (am still not) impressed with OCW.
I've since had this happen on a black G35. I won't use ZPc anymore. I tried it now after my 3m and Meg combos. Each time it reduced clarity leaving a somewhat cloudier finish.

I don't have any experience with Optimum Compound yet but I'm on my second bottle of Optimum Polish already. it is a great do just about anything polish that leaves a clear and haze free finish. I'm the world's biggest sceptic and don't usually gloat about a product, but i've been doing this a long time and i have yet to use a product that is easier with better results. There isn't a need for a finishing polish or glaze. I go right from Optimum to Wolfgang or Zaino.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:33 AM

How often can you use "Optimum Polish?" Is it more or less safe than Zaino 2 or 5?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Optimum Polish is an actual abrasive polish (but very fine, similar to Meguiar's #80, SSR2 and SFX2 - i.e. a light polish used for perfecting a finish).

Zaino Z2 and Z5 are not abrasive polishes, but sealants - an LSP (last step/stage product) used for adding gloss and shine to a previously perfected finish - a synthetic wax, if you will.

They are two very different products.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Jan 3 2006, 05:51 PM
I've since had this happen on a black G35. I won't use ZPc anymore. I tried it now after my 3m and Meg combos. Each time it reduced clarity leaving a somewhat cloudier finish.

I don't have any experience with Optimum Compound yet but I'm on my second bottle of Optimum Polish already. it is a great do just about anything polish that leaves a clear and haze free finish. I'm the world's biggest sceptic and don't usually gloat about a product, but i've been doing this a long time and i have yet to use a product that is easier with better results. There isn't a need for a finishing polish or glaze. I go right from Optimum to Wolfgang or Zaino.
Is Optimum a pure polish? Prior to coming back to Z2 Pro I was using an 83/80 combo followed by any number of products. I went to ZPC just to provide a good / compatible surface for Z2-pro. Does Optimum have any oils / fillers that would affect Z2 Performance?

Has anyone talked to Sal about this?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Former Moderator

The optimum isn't the problem. It happend with the megs and 3m combo i use also.