S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Frequency of waxing?

Old 09-25-2004, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frequency of waxing?

Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm curious. I'm getting a 2000 Silverstone S2000 on Monday and I'm just curious how often to wax and wash it.

I've heard from a few people that washing too often, say once a week, is bad for the car. I also heard that you can use paint cleaner or something and wax fortnightly or so.

So really, how often should I wax to ensure good looks but not to damage the paint etc.?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2004, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wash as often as you like, use a quality wash and it won't hurt anything...it will actually help the paint stay nice looking. Waxing too often can cause build-up so only wax when the water doesn't bead as well, or strip off the old wax before applying more.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Curve,Sep 25 2004, 09:43 AM
Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I'm curious. I'm getting a 2000 Silverstone S2000 on Monday and I'm just curious how often to wax and wash it.

I've heard from a few people that washing too often, say once a week, is bad for the car. I also heard that you can use paint cleaner or something and wax fortnightly or so.

So really, how often should I wax to ensure good looks but not to damage the paint etc.?

Thanks!
you can not wash too often as long as you are using a good quality car shampoo and have a good wax on the car.
that said, mine gets detailed about every other month and it always looks new even before washing. just depends on how you take care of it (mine is an extreme- but it is covered almost all of the time and gets detail sprayed at least once a week... dusted every few days).

how often to wax depends on what product and how often you want to do it. i do mine every time i wash, but it doesnt really need it. if your car sits outside uncovered and you wash it every week, a carnuba prob wont make it a month. a synthetic would make it a couple months or so.

a paint cleaner is a type of polish... you shouldnt need to polish very often either. and this too depends on how the car is taken care of. a covered car needs polish very rarely, while one that sits outside prob can use polish a couple times a year.

my suggestion: wash, wax and cover... keep it dusted, detail sprayed and clean. if you can do this, you wont need to wash very often and wont need to wax or polish very often either.

are you using carnuba or a synthetic?