S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Frankenstein Detail

Old 05-26-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frankenstein Detail

OK. I can't remember if it was in the S2KI wash & wax forum or on Autopia, but someone recently asked me if I had ever used Zymol Vintage as a topper. I hadn't and was midly intrigued by the idea. So, I decided to give it a go. The only sealants I have on hand currently are Wolfgang and Menzerna FMJ. I couldn't decide which to try. So, I decided why not try them both? So, my car ended up being a patchwork of different product combinations (hence the Frankenstein reference).

So, here's what happened . . .

Washed with Zymol Clear
Clay with DP 4-n-1 Rinseless wash as lube
Polished with Menzerna FPII on white LC polishing pad
Applied Wolfgang and Vintage to hood and lower half of body
Applied FMJ and Vintage to trunk lid
Applied Vintage to uper half of body
Applied Wolfgang to windshield trim
Applied Megs #7 to front bumper (recent re-paint so no wax allowed)
Plexus on all exterior plastic
Applied Ragg Topp protectant to top
Cleaned wheels with Megs Wheel Brightener 3:1
Protected wheels with Wheel Wax and OCW
Dressed tires with Megs Endurance High Gloss

Sorry for the dark pictures it was pretty overcast today . . .

Interior was cleaned too!
Vacuum
Protect all rugs with 303 Fabric Guard
Dress all vinyl with 303 Aerospace protectant
Conditioned leather with Zymol Leather Conditioner
Polished guage cluster with Megs #17 and protected with Plexus
Glass cleaned with IG

Overall, I didn't think putting the sealant underneath the Zymol added anything. If anything I think it made the result worse by giving the paint a lacquered look which is typical of sealants in my experience. Next time, I'll just use the Zymol.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:42 PM

looks great!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Former Moderator

There were times i had so many different products on my car i had to make a diagram.

One thing those sealants did was actually give your paint some LASTING protection.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

It was me who asked, over on Autopia (I think? maybe it was over here hahaha). Well, sounds good to me. I'll stick with the Zymol-only.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,May 26 2006, 08:42 PM
One thing those sealants did was actually give your paint some LASTING protection.
I don't know about that. FMJ and Wolfgang are not exactly known as the most durable sealants available. I don't really concern myself much with durability anyway as I'm happy to wax my car at least once a month.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,May 27 2006, 12:06 AM
I don't know about that. FMJ and Wolfgang are not exactly known as the most durable sealants available. I don't really concern myself much with durability anyway as I'm happy to wax my car at least once a month.

My S is my daily driver, but I don't drive much at all and it spends most of its time in the garage.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:49 PM

Yeah it's funny. There was a post over on MOL about a wax test that Consumer Reports printed this month. Everyone was complaining about how bad the test was. Apparently it was biased toward durability being the biggest factor.

CR really should not be doing wax tests IMO. As I've said before, choosing detailing products is 100% a matter of personal preference. CR bases their tests on doing completely objective test and there is NO WAY you can have a subjective wax test because there are no subjective ways to measure wax only objective ways.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:42 PM

Car looks great man
I have some endurance tire gel as well, but have not used it because I was afraid of it slinging. Have you had any problems with slinging?
Thanks
Old 05-27-2006, 05:23 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by MikeyC,May 27 2006, 12:06 AM
I never had a problem getting 3-4 months out Wolfgang even on the daily driver. Good stuff.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyC,May 27 2006, 12:49 AM
Yeah it's funny. There was a post over on MOL about a wax test that Consumer Reports printed this month. Everyone was complaining about how bad the test was. Apparently it was biased toward durability being the biggest factor.

CR really should not be doing wax tests IMO. As I've said before, choosing detailing products is 100% a matter of personal preference. CR bases their tests on doing completely objective test and there is NO WAY you can have a subjective wax test because there are no subjective ways to measure wax only objective ways.
Coming from an Autopia viewpoint, I agree with you. But most people just want something that gives the least hassle and lasts the longest before they need to wax their car again, so I think CR's report works in that regard.

Quick Reply: Frankenstein Detail