S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

First wash: from A to Zaino

Old 05-11-2002, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all. I'm hopefully going to get my S2K from the dealer this week. Trying to get prepared to keep that beautiful red finish looking its best.

I think I've read every post here, and I'm trying to sum everything up for myself and other newbies. A few questions from trying to digest it all:

First, Zaino seems to be the way to go. Everyone says it's great. How long should you wait before doing your first wash and Zaino? Does the paint on a new car need time to cure?

Assuming Zaino is OK from the beginning, it sounds like you need Z-1, Z-2, Z-6, ZFX and Z-7 (will any car wash work just as well as Z-7?).

Do you need the clay bar, or is that unnecessary with a new car? Any other Zaino products required?

For the exterior:
1) Wash with Dawn dishwashing liquid to clear off whatever junk is on the car.
2) Use clay bar with Z-7 wash?
3) Dry car with Absorber/chamois/cotton/microfiber (seen disputing recommendations here). Let nature finish the job.
4) Apply Z-1. No real wait, just five minutes to haze.
5) Apply Z-2. (How long does this take to dry? Does ZFX cut the time)?
6) Apply Z-6 for gloss.
7) Apply another coat of Z-2 (how long do you have to wait before doing this)?
8) Between washes, wipe off the dust that Zaino attracts with California Car Duster? (Saw that in one post--what's that?)

For the top:
1) Protect with 303 aerospace protectant. (Is this necessary? Sounds like it runs in the rain)
2) Clean with 303 or ordinary car wash when dirty

For the leather:
1) Protect with Lexol?

Also, dumb question: what should you use with the car wash? A big sponge? One of those wash mitts (I saw some sheepskin ones at Costo)? Something more gentle to protect the finish?

Thanks in advance for corrections/responses to this.
Old 05-11-2002, 02:40 PM

i'd also like to know the response to this question - i should be getting my S in about the same time.
Old 05-11-2002, 03:23 PM

I'll try to answer some of this...
Clay bar is up to you. If you feel rough spots on the paint, then do the clay bar. FWIW, I didn't use the clay bar when I first applied Zaino.

1) yes
2) yes, but use a diluted solution (a few drops to a capful of wash in a water spray bottle filled with water).
3) YMMV (your mileage may vary), some people go as far as using leaf blowers! I use water sprite and/or Absorber.
4) not even five minutes wait time needed, once you're finished applying, apply Z2/Z5 over it.
5) depends on the heat and humidity in your area. It could take as little as an hour to dry, or up to several hours. Rub your finger across a part of the polish, it it streaks, it's not dry. If you use ZFX, you do not need to use Z1 and it will dry a lot faster.
6) yes, but don't forget to take off Z2 first!
7) typically you should wait at least 8 hours before the next coat unless you are using ZFX. I believe you do not have to wait that long for the next application with ZFX. Don't forget to follow up with Z6.
8) I say no, others say yes. YMMV.

303 is a protectant and not a cleaner. I would wash the top with car wash, others can provide their favorite recipe. I haven't experienced any running with 303, but I don't apply it thick either.

Leather, your choice. I used various products with equal results. Use your favorite here.

What to wash the car with? I use two sponges, one for the body, one for the wheels and exhaust (and other very dirty places). Mitt or sponge is a personal preference, make sure you rinse it fully every time to dip it back into the bucket to prevent any dirt collect in there from scratching your paint.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2002, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't wait any longer than the time it takes you to drive home to protect the finish. The finish is ready to polish.

I like to use two buckets; one with rinse water and the other with soapy water. After washing a section, thoroughly rinse the mitt or sponge without touching the bottom of the bucket, before dipping into the soap again. Rinse the car as soon as you are finished with a section, don't wait. I also use two mitts; an inexpensive one for the top, tires and wheels and a good sheepskin one for the finish. Don't forget that the mitts have two sides, use both of them. Wash from the top down, also wash the top, wheels and tires first. Then wash the rest of the car. I usually start at the front and get the back then the doors. Dry it off quickly to prevent water spots and polish away. I like to use my air compressor and microfiber towels to dry the car with. Don't forget to polish the wheels since they are clear coated just like the rest of the car.

I prefer the creamy type (lanolin based) leather protection and any good brand will work, just use it often.

I personally don't think that the top needs anything to look good. I have tried vinyl protectant and it didn't make a big difference. If you do use 303, apply it to a washrag or other cloth and then apply it to the top. The reason for doing this is to avoid applying too much to the top. Too much on the top will streak and then runoff onto the windows, leaving a milky mess behind.

One thing I should have mentioned to begin with, it's much better to wash a cool car then a hot one. It's also much easier to wash it in the shade, especially if it's RED , like mine is. RED shows everything that's right or wrong with the finish, just like black does.

Enjoy your new car,
Bob
Old 05-12-2002, 05:15 PM

thanks, i'll try this out on the car once i get it. so do you guys use your air compressor and blowers or do you believe there are cons to it?!? you mentioned polishing the wheels - does that mean i could zaino the wheels (and with what zaino) or just buff them?
Old 05-12-2002, 05:59 PM

Why would you apply Z1 on a new finish if you're going to use ZFX with Z2? Did I miss something in Sal's advice?

Tim
Old 05-12-2002, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by TimTheFoolMan
Why would you apply Z1 on a new finish if you're going to use ZFX with Z2? Did I miss something in Sal's advice?

Tim
The following is a quote from Zaino's web site:

4. The basic products you will need are Z1 or the new ZFX accelerator additive, Z2, Z5 (optional, but highly recommended), Z6 and Z7.
Note: The New ZFX accelerator additive is our latest innovation and designed as a substitute and/or replacement for Z-1.

5. Start with either Z-1 Polish Lok as per directions OR the preferred New ZFX accelerator additive. If you are using Z-1 it does not need to dry. Remember do not wipe off the Z-1 Polish Lok. Apply Z-5 or Z-2 directly over the Z-1. Z-5 is the Hot ticket for a swirl free, flawless paint finish. Usually one to three coats will accomplish that.

You don't need Z1 if you use ZFX.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikesS2K
[B]thanks, i'll try this out on the car once i get it.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:59 PM

do you guys like the microfiber towels? they sound great but i've heard a couple people say they aren't? what's the overall impression - do you guys use them and are does it leave scratches?
Old 05-13-2002, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikesS2K
[B]thanks, i'll try this out on the car once i get it.

Quick Reply: First wash: from A to Zaino