S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

First dent!

Old 08-31-2005, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First dent!

After one year of careful ownership, it finally happened...my first dent. The worst part is...I did it! As I was opening the door of my other car (which was parked next to my S2K) a gust of wind took it out of my hand. The door slammed into the passenger side door of my S2K. Now I have a quarter size dent with small scratches.

I think I can remove the scratches with my PC and some polish. However, the dent is another problem. Has anyone here had any luck removing dents? Ever use the suction thingys like "dent popper" or "dent sucker" that the chain auto stores sell? Any other dent removal suggestions?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ouch- hurts more when you hit your cars yourself!!

i have used those cheap dent repair kits successfully...
have also run into dents that they wouldnt fix.
so if you dont mind spending the money to buy one, not too expensive. if it works, you have learned something that you can use again. if not, you take it to one of those quick dent repair places (they use pretty much the same things, but have experience using them).
in any case, if you do it yourself, post up pics if you can- before and aft and maybe some of your process; so others can see how easy it is.

------
btw, should have mentioned that those quick dent fixers work as long as your paint is not cracked (sounds like yours is not) and as long as the dent is not on a seam or crease.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:46 AM

I would check into your local phone book and look up a paintless dent repair guy. I have used Dentpro for years with different vehicles that I have had in the past, and he does an excellent job.
The guy has a special rod that he will insert down the window sill and pop out the dent right before your eyes and there will be no sign of a dent.
I think the going rate, well at least around here, is about $80.
I have heard both good and bad about the personal door dent removal tools, but you gotta be careful not to overextend the area if you are removing the dent yourself or else you will have a pucker.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by moonsurfer,Sep 1 2005, 12:46 PM
I have heard both good and bad about the personal door dent removal tools, but you gotta be careful not to overextend the area if you are removing the dent yourself or else you will have a pucker.
That's what I'm afraid of. The steel in the door panel seems very thin. I was even thinking about removing the door trim panel. Afterwards, I should be able to push or tap the dent out. However, I'm afraid this technique may still cause a pucker.

I'll try and post a pic tomorrow. Maybe after viewing the pics, you guys will have a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just find a paintless dent repair (PDR) shop like Dent Doctor, Dent Wizard, Dent Pro. They will do a great job for $50-60 per dent. When my WRX was new, I had a 1/4" x 2" dent that went through an accent crease in the front fender. I thought I was screwed. A PDR guy got it back to looking perfect, and it was a cool show to watch! I was really amazed at how great it worked.

From what you described, the dent is too small for the DIY kits (which are really for larger dents). Even if it was the right technique, you can easily screw it up and make the problem worse.

Craig
Old 09-01-2005, 09:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Another vote for PDR. A good PDR guy can do wonders. I've used three different PDR guys in the past and all of them brought my panels back to 99%+ - so much so that you'd have to be looking, in the right light, at the right angle, and know exactly where the dent was before if you had any hope of finding evidence of it

Worth the money.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:01 AM

UPDATE :

I decided to visit my local Honda dealership to ask who they use for PDR. It just so happened, "Cy the Dent Guy" was there repairing a brand new silverstone S2K that was dinged while sitting on the showroom floor.

I was allowed to watch "CY" in action. The result was amazing! After he finished, I looked at the panel from several different angles. I could not find any evidence of a previous dent. I was sold! Cy then preceded to do my car. He did mention however that black is the hardest to fix...just my luck. However, after the master's touch (and 50 bucks), the door panel looks 99% new.

for Paintless Dent Repair!
Old 09-12-2005, 05:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by suprfunguy,Sep 12 2005, 11:01 AM
UPDATE :

I decided to visit my local Honda dealership to ask who they use for PDR. It just so happened, "Cy the Dent Guy" was there repairing a brand new silverstone S2K that was dinged while sitting on the showroom floor.

I was allowed to watch "CY" in action. The result was amazing! After he finished, I looked at the panel from several different angles. I could not find any evidence of a previous dent. I was sold! Cy then preceded to do my car. He did mention however that black is the hardest to fix...just my luck. However, after the master's touch (and 50 bucks), the door panel looks 99% new.

for Paintless Dent Repair!
Cool! Glad you got to see the show, it's pretty amazing to watch.

Craig
Old 09-16-2005, 04:47 PM

Just my 2cents for the DIY type guys ( of which i am ), Paintless dent repair is really is not something that should be attempted at home. The tools are outrageously expensive, even on ebay, and it takes real skill to do it correctly. The really good PDR guys are like artists, and they generally get hands on training by a mentor to really learn it. Just learning from a DVD isn't really feasible.

I spent some time researching PDR to try it on my beater civic, but in the end i realized that it's just one of those things that you're better off leaving to the experts.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:00 PM

DENTPRO

i have had them fix some crazy things on my cars and it always has come out great.

the popped out 3 dents with knuckle marks from some punches and couldn't see anything.