S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Fine Scratches with Megs White Clay

Old 12-29-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts
Default Fine Scratches with Megs White Clay

I've used Meguiars white clay on my car twice and both times the surfaces have ended up with additional fine scratches. Before this I've used Mothers yellow clay many times and I've never had an issue with that product. I'm using the clay on very clean surfaces both times and following the manufacturer's direction. Is there a difference in quality between white clay and yellow clay ?. I'm definitely not using the Megs clay any further until I can find out what's going on. I've picked up a new supply of Mothers clay.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:45 PM
DxC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv used Meg's multiple times and never had this issue. Are you flipping to a new side often enough to ensure clean clay?
Old 12-29-2013, 04:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Between the Megs white and Mothers yellow - I have no clue on the grade of clay between the two, but one might be coarser than the other.

Most clay will leave micro marring, or as you've described it, fine scratches. I only clay my car before I buff it.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kenshyn
Between the Megs white and Mothers yellow - I have no clue on the grade of clay between the two, but one might be coarser than the other.

Most clay will leave micro marring, or as you've described it, fine scratches. I only clay my car before I buff it.
I think that's what I will do from now on, only use it before I buff/polish.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by DxC
Iv used Meg's multiple times and never had this issue. Are you flipping to a new side often enough to ensure clean clay?
I thought that I was, I wasn't picking up much dirt and I started with a brand new whole bar just to do a carbon fiber hood. I have used clay before without any issues but it seems like the last two times with this brand it has been different. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't notice anyone asking you or did you mention it, and it may be pretty simple, but here are some questions that may shed some light to your predicament.

When are you claying the car? After/during/before a rinse/wash?
What are you using as a lubricant to clay? And are you using enough lubricant?
Are you kneading the clay after a couple of panels?
Has this clay bar been dropped/sitting at the bottom of a bucket?
Is the clay wet before you clay the car?
Are you using pressure or are you using friction to clay the car?
How are you drying the car off after the clay? Do you rinse it agian after the clay?
Could it be possible that your paint is in fact THAT bad and not caused by the clay?

I've used the yellow stuff and the white stuff. I don't get any micromarring or fine scratches.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by End005
I didn't notice anyone asking you or did you mention it, and it may be pretty simple, but here are some questions that may shed some light to your predicament.

When are you claying the car? After/during/before a rinse/wash?
What are you using as a lubricant to clay? And are you using enough lubricant?
Are you kneading the clay after a couple of panels?
Has this clay bar been dropped/sitting at the bottom of a bucket?
Is the clay wet before you clay the car?
Are you using pressure or are you using friction to clay the car?
How are you drying the car off after the clay? Do you rinse it agian after the clay?
Could it be possible that your paint is in fact THAT bad and not caused by the clay?

I've used the yellow stuff and the white stuff. I don't get any micromarring or fine scratches.
I used the clay after washing the parts I was using the clay upon. The lubricant is the bottle that came with the clay, Megs detailer ?. I seem to be use enough lube, I spray it on the parts and on the clay as well. Both times I used it I was only treating one part. The first time was the oem hood, the second time was a carbon fiber hood, I was using a new bar and I didn't use the clay on any other part of the vehicle. I did not rinse the parts after the clay, I wiped them dry with a microfiber towel. Paint on the oem hood was in really good shape, it was polished clean a couple times in the past a few coats of Powerlock since then, it sits in a garage most of the time. I only noticed the light scratches after claying which got my attention. Clay was never dropped as it was a brand new bar, and megs gives you plastic container to keep it in. It didn't seem like I was applying pressure, just sliding it back and forth over the surface as I have in the past without problems. The fine scratches will polish out easily, I think I will just use claying prior to any polishing in the future, it's probably some kind of user error if others have used this clay without issues. I appreciate the replies.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

I ditched clay and use Meg's nano scrub medium and fine pads. Less time with equal or better results. If you drop it just wash it off with soap and water then reuse. You still need to lube and wipe off.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest with you I never liked the clay made for meguiars. For over the counter products Mothers is the better clay. However, if you can get Clay Magic, this is way better.

That said, all three of those clay bars will leave some micro marring, but should not leave very noticeable marks.

If you want a clay to use more often and that is a much more fine clay, then I would use either Sonüs or Pinnacle ultra poly clay. These two are made for more frequent use and will not lave any marks in the paint if used with the proper amount of lube.

For the best lube, get a small bottle of Optimum No Rinse. a bit less then one cap in 750ml of water makes a fantastic lube that is very easy on the wallet.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Reality33
To be honest with you I never liked the clay made for meguiars. For over the counter products Mothers is the better clay. However, if you can get Clay Magic, this is way better.

That said, all three of those clay bars will leave some micro marring, but should not leave very noticeable marks.

If you want a clay to use more often and that is a much more fine clay, then I would use either Sonüs or Pinnacle ultra poly clay. These two are made for more frequent use and will not lave any marks in the paint if used with the proper amount of lube.

For the best lube, get a small bottle of Optimum No Rinse. a bit less then one cap in 750ml of water makes a fantastic lube that is very easy on the wallet.
I think there is a difference in clays like you state. What I'm seeing might be micro-marring rather than scratches. Thanks for the lube tips.