S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Film on windows - HELP! Can't see when it rains!

Old 01-12-2005, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I don't think it's tree sap. It covers the entire windshield and when dry, you can't see or feel anything. Once it's been washed (I washed it with car wash soap and auto glass cleaner), you don't feel anything, but you can see the "spots" or whatever they are (they're not really round...they look almost like when you have some oil in water, like when you put water in a pan you just cooked with). Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try some 409 first (grease cutter), then the clay bar and/or the glass polishes you guys recommended.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Former Moderator

Iso rubbing alcohol straight out of the bottle. If that doesn't clean it then it needs polished.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:05 AM

Will try rubbing alcohol!...I got that laying around, so it's the quickest and easiest thing to try first. Thanks!
I'm also going to get a clay bar this weekend or so, in case the rubbing alcohol doesn't work.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:42 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

If you have some Dawn dish detergent you could give that a try, great at cutting grease, removing old wax, etc.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:46 PM

Try this,

Glass Polishing - Deep Cleaning

Next time try this by hand with a piece of terry cloth or by machine with a W=7006 foam cutting pad.

#4 Heavy Cut Cleaner

(This product can be purchased in a 16 ounce bottle also)

It will work so much better than either of the two product you tried because of the type of diminishing abrasive this product uses. Next time you're around a bottle of #4 Heavy Cut Cleaner, shake up the bottle and pour a little into your fingers and then rub your fingers back and forth. You will easily feel the diminishing abrasives, (if you continue to rub your fingers together your will feel the diminishing abrasives breakdown and disappear).

Now, feel any of the products in the 80's series, such as the #84 Compound Power Cleaner in the same way and it will feel like you're rubbing a soft, smooth hand lotion between your fingers.

The difference is the 80's series uses microscopic diminishing abrasives while the traditional Mirror Glaze products use for lack of a better term, macroscopic diminishing abrasives.

It is this larger size diminishing abrasive particle that cuts, or slices through the film that has built up on the surface of your glass and polishes it off.

Liquid glass cleaners don't offer this polishing effect. When ever I detail a customers car, I'll almost always machine polish their glass with this system so that the glass is a glossy and shiny as the paint. When you do this and you've detailed the car correctly, the finished look jumps out at you! because everything on the car is gleaming.

In Oregon and Washington, I ran into a lot of people with horrendous water spots on their glass, as such, I have a lot of experience polishing glass.

Mike
Old 01-18-2005, 01:28 PM

Mike: thanks for the great info! Have you tried the Autoglym or Klasse AIO before? If so, how do those compare to the Meguires stuff? I still haven't had a chance to try much (didn't even get to try 409 or Dawn). I just got a clay bar this weekend, but time is limited...I don't usually get home till 7-8pm.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:46 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Phillips,Jan 14 2005, 05:46 PM
Try this,

Glass Polishing - Deep Cleaning

Snip of a ton of useful info.

Mike
Wow! Awesome to see you post here. I've read a ton of your posts at autopia and meguirasonline and now own even more meguiars stuff than I used to. Wish we had you out here on this coast for a few sessions. We are working on getting Meguiars out for a session at a local dealership hope the local guys are as good to work with.

Mark
Old 01-18-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

[QUOTE=JSR_AP2,Jan 18 2005, 06:28 PM] Mike: thanks for the great info!
Old 01-18-2005, 04:49 PM

Well, I won't really know what I'll need till I start trying things out. I don't know what the stuff is on the windows really. Unfortunately, I don't want to buy every product to try it till I find the right one...I'm not rich enough. I'll try the simple ones first (dawn, 409, clay bar), then think more about my next move if (more likely when) those don't work.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by JSR_AP2,Jan 11 2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys. I'll look into the Klasse AIO stuff also. The glass is fine when it's dry, so I'd prefer not to have to replace it just for the short rainy seasons we get here in socal.
Is there a way to tell for sure if the contaminants are etched in?
Didn't notice you were socal. If you're anywhere near anaheim, I've got AIO, Autoglym, #82, #83 and a PC you can try. Beats having to buy all that stuff. PM me if interested.

-sam

Quick Reply: Film on windows - HELP! Can't see when it rains!