S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

feeling down about detailing

Old 10-31-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feeling down about detailing

It seems from taking a break from the wonderful W&W forum (not by choice had other things to take care of) I come back a couple months later and realize i know NOTHING about detailing. Well.. that may be a slight exaggeration, but It seems there atleast 30 makers of products that do essentially the same, worded differently, and in a very wide variety of price.

Ive owned my PC for almost 2 years now and it hasn't been put to use other than for 5 minutes on my GSXR 600 to take a few small swirls off of tank.(which is did great)

I have blue and orange edge 2000 pads and poor boys ssr1 and ssr2 and I think with that combination I could do a lot of good for the paint on my car (florescent lights show bad swirls now), but with reading all these products I'm doubting my limited polishing products and my ability to do the job that needs to be done.

I think a lot stems from my rear plastic window being in such a bad condition with being hazed and my top actually get a very small wear spot which turned into a 1/4" rip. It seems without addressing those two things I don't even want to bother with the rest of my car. I even went so far as to just buy a convex mirror from MUZ so i could see behind me.

Done venting.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey, dont stop!!
we wana help-

btw, nothing wrong with your products- edge makes my fav pads and poorboys has plenty of followers here. yes, there are other choices, but yours will work fine.

welcome back and let us know how we can help you!
Old 10-31-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can understand about feeling down about detailing.
I don't know everything I want to know. I don't always have the time with working 2 jobs, a wife, twins, and just got my 1st house 2 months ago.

I use poorboys stuff as well, and most of my supplies are within good price range, nothing overly expensive.

I hope we can cheer you up, and make you a W&W wacko again
Old 10-31-2007, 06:16 PM

thanks for the support guys. there is plenty of inspiration here and ill always say this is the most informative forum with the nicest group of guys on s2ki.

I guess my main concern at the moment is the top rip with winter coming up. I have read permatex offers something that can do a fix (not buying a new top right now, and cant find any shops to do repair in my area)

the hazing on the rear window- i heard nothing works, but im tempted to taking the pc with some products to the window and try it. Im irritated that the windows has gotten this way. ive been washing it regularly and using plexus on it.

for the rest of the car. I have a lot of research to do and once i get the moral up i might take a stab and see what i can do.

crazy- all i can say is wow. you have quite a work load there. congrats on keeping up with everything- very honorable to do what you have to do to keep things going
Old 10-31-2007, 06:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Just do some through reading for a good week or two and mix match products and see how you like it, you dont have to stick to one product line. Just because some products are more expensive than others does not mean they are better. Have fun!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=KnowledgeIsPower,Oct 31 2007, 06:16 PM] thanks for the support guys. there is plenty of inspiration here and ill always say this is the most informative forum with the nicest group of guys on s2ki.

I guess my main concern at the moment is the top rip with winter coming up.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KnowledgeIsPower,Oct 31 2007, 06:16 PM
thanks for the support guys. there is plenty of inspiration here and ill always say this is the most informative forum with the nicest group of guys on s2ki.

wow, very nice of you...
its guys like you who make this board such a great place to hang out!!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The overwhelming feeling of "what the heck am I even doing" hits us all, I think.
(ok..maybe not Wanabe/MickeyC/Ubetit)

I personally find the greatest joy in trying out new products and seeing if I can even do anything with them. My car may not be a mirror, but it still looks pretty darn good, and every little bit that I do makes it better, for all it's problems (rock chips, scratches, etc).

Never give up the fight!
One of the greatest things about this particular forum is that even asking the most simple question will get you gobs of responses from all kinds of experienced people with the intent of "looking out for you".

I would offer some encouragement about the window, but I have a glass, so I dont have anything to suggest.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 AM

pics of window and top rip. rip cannot be seen from outside and doesnt leak, but there is a slip rip and want to take care of it before winter.

for the window what product/pad do you guys suggest? or is it
too far gone

and yes. there is a huge pile of bird crap near the bottom right of my window. happened between 9am and when i went out there to take pics

Old 11-01-2007, 01:18 PM

i have a top that is a little over a year old and the plastic is already going to foggy land.. why did they use such a plastic for this important window anyway?

definetely looking forward to seeing if anyone has some kind of products that work.

i have a clear plastic cleaner and polish set available to me that i have used on the headlight and taillight housings before with good luck but don't know if they would be right to tackle the rear window as its more of a rubbery-soft plastic.

not only visibility but i hate the way it makes the car look so cheap and ghetto with the foggy mess.

i should have pushed the shop harder to get the top replaced with a glass window version but they were only replacing the top not the whole frame.. and was an insurance claim after vandals cut my old top to steal my seats.. hate to have regrets but that is one regret i can't get over..

Quick Reply: feeling down about detailing