S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Engine cleaning question...:-)

Old 10-14-2008, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cleaning question...:-)

Ok, there have been a couple different posts with this typical line of questioning but I never could find a straight answer. I just got my first s2k, 01 w/ 85k miles, about 2 months ago. Love the car, but the previous owner didn't take the best car of it. I'm having to take care of a few small things, one of which is the engine being cleaned. I just bought some of the GUNK Engine Brite stuff, but before I go and clean the engine, is it necessary to cover up the alternator, distributor, and battery or will I be ok leaving them exposed. Secondly, my exhaust tips look like hell, anyway to get them shiny, or should I just see if I can find some more exhaust tips. Thanks!!!

Chris
Old 10-15-2008, 12:10 AM

What I know is to cover the alternator, you can use a plastic bag to get over it or you can cover it with tin foil. I use a plastic bag.

Oh and use a low pressure hose
Old 10-15-2008, 01:39 AM

Don't buy an expensive small bottle.

Kragen have this for $6 per gallon and I have washed many engines on this one gallon.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail....tegoryCode=3226

Kragen also have this for $7 and it'll last for awhile.
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/p-2133-cd-...25-oz-4516.aspx

Definitely cover the alternator, intake opening and avoid spraying direct water into them.

Use the search button also.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=278999
Old 10-15-2008, 06:53 AM

I have never detailed my engine compartment, and I don't know if I ever will. I'm nervous about it. But in addition to the helpful articles already cited, I have found good counsel over at the Meguiar's site. Substitute your preferred products for Meguiar's. Perhaps one day I'll get up the nerve ...
Old 10-15-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://thedetailinghandbook.com/Engine_Detailing.aspx
i followed these directions with good results

http://thedetailinghandbook.com/Exhaust_Tip_Care.aspx
Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From one of my previous posts:

CD2 degreaser with detailer spray in it + a foam gun =

I've cleaned probably a couple hundred engine bays with degreaser and a high pressure hose when I detailer for a shop. Never had any issues. Always left the car running and blocked off any intake holes, or if there was a exposed filter Id cover it and leave the engine off. Most important part is always keep the water hose moving so your not soaking one area.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:05 PM

as for your exhaust tips get some metal polish and do work
Old 10-16-2008, 08:55 AM
bcs

I don't even bother with a plastic bag. I just put an old MF towel over the intake filter and the alternator and go to work. Spray some APC 10:1 (or some degreaser if it is bad) all over the place and scrub a little in the places that need it. Rinse with the hose.

I usually have the setting on "shower" so it gives me enough pressure to rinse everything, but not enough to damage anything. Dry off the standing water with an older MF towel (or a leaf blower makes quick work of it...you just run the chance of loosening some wires) and use whatever engine dressing you like. Personally I have CD2, but there are numerous brands out there.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:59 AM

Thanx guys, everyone helped out. I ended up using GUNK Brand Engine Brite, then followed it up with CD2. I'm telling you, NIGHT and DAY difference. It took all of about 20-30 min, and now I don't mind opening my hood up to show people the engine. Thanx again !
Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 AM

good stuff right there.....glad your happy with your results just keep it clean..... I love popping my hood and people asking me if I clean it every night

Quick Reply: Engine cleaning question...:-)